A Question of Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fumo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi people,

new to the site, I have a fairly small tank with 2 year old black moors (one of which is about 5 inches, big black and healthy, one which is 2-3 inches, often looks unwell and turned a light gold maybe 9 months ago. They were both living in a 100 litre tank (think that's about 25 gallons in US talk!) with a number of other cold water fish. I have since moved them to a tank which is maybe 25 litres and then introduced 2 red and white fantails (about the same size as the smaller black (gold) moor.

They all seem to be getting on fine (although the fantails like to 'ride' the large black moor which distressed him at first!), I was just wondering if there were any opinions on whether there is enough room for them. I don't plan on adding any other fish for now but as the black moors were in a much larger tank will it affect them to be in this new smaler home?

Also the black moors don't look like others, in the sense that they are not short and tall/wide (if you see what i mean) but rather long and more slender. What would have made this so?

Any help or advice you guys can offer would be great! Thanks.

If I understand this correctly, you have 8+ inches of fish in a 6.6 gallon tank which is way way too small. You should have at least a 40 gallon tank

Hi there!

6.6g(US) or 25L is too small for even one goldfish. Multiply it, and you've got problems. I had trouble keeping my 2 telescopes ammonia-free in a 29g. I moved them to a 55g, and added a 3rd. They are MUCH happier, healthier, and look better.

What made you put them in a smaller tank in the first place? They NEED the room. Their water quality, and therefore health, are going to suffer tremendously. Goldies are dirty little critters!

Also, black moors tend to change colors 1)with old age and 2)if they're exposed to warmer water for an extended period of time. It's pretty common. As mine, Mai, has gotten older, her belly has turned to a light gold. She's as healthy (and about as big as) a horse!

Just try to get them in a bigger tank. They'll have a better quality of life!

Welcome to AA by the way!

They certainly need a bigger tank, 55g minimum. Not only for the potential size of goldfish, but for water quality as well.

Welcome to AA as well.

You need a wayy bigger tank that that. Maybe 45-50 gallons. Just like everyone else said.

Back
Top Bottom