A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss: What about Aquarium Tanks and algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Temp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's a picture.

42791315.png

Beware, Wall of Text.

Suppose you have this unique aquarium tank that rolls 360 degrees nonstop with a motor. And you wanted to make sure algae don't grow a lot inside the tanks. And you're lazy.

When considering the old saying "A rolling stone gathers no moss", and you blend the elements into aquariums, what you should get is probably this. This prototype glass/acrylic tank should have meet the needs to satisfy fish breeders.

There shouldn't be any signs of moss or algae growth in this tank, as the roller tank is spun continuous at a slow rate of speed and in the same direction. It's cylinder design won't cause the fish inside to be frightened or causes stress, and it won't make big waves.

The sides of the roller should go underwater, then back up into the air, rinse and repeat. It won't gather anything that may cause it to grow something on the sides of the roller. The only exception is on the side of the stationary wall, where it doesn't rotate.

There's an opening on the stationary wall, which makes feeding times and maintenance easy as pie. When fish produce waste, the waste will always go to the very bottom of the roller, where it'll gather into a mound. That's where cleaning comes easy. Just siphon up the waste and you're good to go.

If you want to place an air hose or filter into it, just make it hook over the opening.

The gray part of the stationary wall is a complex system of keeping the water shut tight inside the tank, and making the roller rotate. It's something simple drawings can't express. ;)

I only forgot to draw or make room for the motor for the roller. Hence, there's the TODO note. Also note that I have not consider consequences of having saltwater inside. It must rust some metals inside of it, so this tank is made for Freshwater species. And I'm not sure where to put this thread, so it's in the Freshwater discussion forums.

End of Wall of Text.

So, does anyone think this is a good idea to try and test? Do you think there are places that needs improvement? It's okay to use the picture freely.

I think this is a bad idea. To support a tank of any decent size, unless you went with huge industrial supports (welded steel IMO) it would be impossible to support this with legs on one side. Then you get into how the glass at this point doesn't have any means of support, aside from 2 circular seams and where it meets the wall?

Further, the substrate constantly bouncing along is sure to be stressful to the fish. You have included no way to siphon/gravel vac (except perhaps through the door in the back which looks small... the larger you make this tank the bigger its problems get IMO) either.

Lastly, why make your entire aquarium like a cement mixer when you can easily keep your tank algae free by controlling your light, and possibly injecting CO2 with live plants and fertilizer?

Okay a few things, the forces on the walls of the tank will be.. I want to say alot greater due to the nature of this tank. You fish will congregate in the center more to avoid the constantly moving water. Next you will need a huuuge stand to keep it from tipping over... I don't think you are putting enough thought into the bearing, because no wall should be stationary, unless you have the motor along one of the rounded edges and use like rubber feet to grab the edge, but then there's the problem of making the edges waterproof and also rotatable. If we ignore the physical problems and look at the conceptual problems, I don't think this will work. Some algae's need to be exposed to air for a period, and wetted again, (see algal turf scrubber), so this will serve as an ideal place for these types of algae. If you want to try it, go ahead, but I forsee an extremely overbudget project that will ultimately end in failure (probably). I don't mean to ruin your parade, as we need more people innovating things, but for this idea, I can't see it being effective for its suited purpose.

I won't pick apart the design. It could be done with a few modifications. Lets suppose that you were able to build this tank and make it function reliably and safely. I still think you'd develop algae if you had enough light. I liken that tank to a shallow, clear, stream. I also know I've waded enough such streams that I know there's algae on the rocks in those streams. (It makes them really slippery.)

Back
Top Bottom