A Scenario about Tanks and Filters I need help with.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

archangelvk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

Ive got a (hopefully simple?) question that I hope can be answered here.

I currently have a 23G that has a AquaClear 50 HoB thats been running for over 3 years. I want to put that HoB filter in my NEW 33G that has ADA Aqua Soil in it to help it cycle faster. Therefore I bought a NEW sponge filter that will be taking the place of the HoB in the 23G. How long do I need to wait before the new sponge filter is seeded properly so I can remove the HoB to cycle my new tank?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Seeding a New Fish Tank

Hi Everyone,

Ive got a (hopefully simple?) question that I hope can be answered here.

I currently have a 23G that has a AquaClear 50 HoB thats been running for over 3 years. I want to put that HoB filter in my NEW 33G that has ADA Aqua Soil in it to help it cycle faster. Therefore I bought a NEW sponge filter that will be taking the place of the HoB in the 23G. How long do I need to wait before the new sponge filter is seeded properly so I can remove the HoB to cycle my new tank?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Hello arch...

You don't need to move anything. Take out the sponge piece from the AquaClear and squeeze the contents onto the sponge piece of the sponge filter and put it into the new tank. The bacteria will collect on the sponge and the new tank will be instantly cycled. Just put the Hagen filter back together and get it onto the old tank.

You need to take care adding fish to the new tank. Add just a few, small fish and test the water frequently to make sure the bacteria you transferred is working.

Easy peazee,

B

Back
Top Bottom