A serious problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smidge - these might be ont he gray area of how to get things but hey this is healthy hobby.

1. Tell her you could be spending this money on other un health things, adult movies, magazines, dancers, presents for the GF (better yet don't say this, might get you into more trouble), alcohol, stuff for the car, more power tools, bigger better tv, bigger better home theater. Don't use any of this if she wants any of the items listed above.

2. Start talking about a very large tank, larger than the one you want, tell her all about it to the point that it annoys her. If you want a 125gal tell her you want a 240gal Then when she has enough calmly talk to her and ask her why she doesn't want you to get the tank. Then tell her you will compromise with her and get a smaller tank. She more than likely will not give into the huge tank but with a smaller one that you would compromise with her it should work.

Well, since aqaurium keeping is a hobby, no doubt that will draw the usual ire from the keyboard warriors, I would just try to reason with her that this is an expansion of the hobby and that it would be ok. Or you could compromise and look around for the tank. Look on ebay for tanks, then spend the extar dollars into a stand that she would find pleasing to the decor of the house. I actually understand what she's saying- I just think a little compromise and ingenuity could make the deal go thru. Also, you could look around for a builder and see if they would build a tailor made stand out of wood that could be varnished or painted to your wife's choice.

Here's some links to building a stand:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html
http://www.fishandtips.com/index.php
The first is just to help you on placement of the tank given its weight. HTH...

You can probably build a stronger tank stand that looks 10 times nicer and matches the decor of your home for a about a third of what you would pay some one. Take a look at the tank stands you buy at LFS they are typically just particle board put together. I built my first basic stand with a power drill and power saw, for a 55gal that I over built so it could hold a 80-90gal tank and 40gal or smaller under. You basically make the entire frame of the stand with 2x4s and cover it up with sheets of wood of your choice. Right now I'm in the process of building a stand for a 180gal and getting caught up with how to finish it since there are a million choices. Get the wifey involved with the process of building the tanks stand from design to the color of the stain. I don't have a back ground in wood working either, just some tools and just enough knowledge to be a danger to my fish.

Smidge said:
Right guys, i'm gonna need all your help on this one!

How can i convince my wife to let me have a bigger tank? Seriously! I've been trying for about a month now. She understands the stuff about being able to have more fish and different, more interesting varieties. She understands that i love my hobby but she just won't budge on getting a bigger tank. She claims that she hates that designs of all of these cabinet style tanks... The type i was after is not too dissimilar to the Juwel Vision 450.

Any help, greatly received.

From my perspective, it's pretty humorous seeing this question on this forum... I've been perusing Harley motorcycle forums for the past few years (hubby and I bought bikes a few years ago), and the guys are always posting about how their wives don't want them to get another bike. Compared to $20,000 motorcycles (plus maintenance), to complain about the cost of an aquarium seems REALLY petty! Ask her if she'd rather you get into motorcycling!
It turns out that a lot of the folks who have uncooperative spouses, evolve into having cooperative spouses after involving them in the activity. So I agree with those who have suggested involving her. Maybe ask her if she'd like to go get a fish of her own, name it, and watch after it... Us girls love to name pets, dolls, etc... and can get pretty emotionally attached pretty quick.

Its better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission .

you could do like I do to my parents when I buy a bigger tank, show them how cramped the old tank is and explain the long term effects of over stocking in a small tank, my parents being the animal lovers ( like me ) always feel that maybe its time for a bigger tank, once they went with me to the pet store and even helped me pick out anew one and get it loaded and unloaded lol

Back
Top Bottom