A shrimp suddenly appeared in my aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redbourn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think it's a shrimp anyway.

Looks like a Cherry Red Shrimp but is more transparent than red.

I haven't added any fish or plants for at least a couple of months.

So where did it come from?

Thanks,

Michael

Are you are it's not larvae from a bug? I know mosquitos will put their babies in water, and they are transparent.

It's about 3/4" of an inch long; has six legs at the front; a v shaped tail and whiskers.

I isolated it a while ago but it's still alive and can jump.

:dance:

Michael

It's about 3/4" of an inch long; has six legs at the front; a v shaped tail and whiskers.

Michael

Can you post pics ... that's the best way we could help you ID.

redbourn said:

Michael

It sounds like a nymph from a dragon fly I had one a few months ago u want to catch it and get red of it they are fish hunters

Can you post pics ... that's the best way we could help you ID.

I don't have the right lens to photograph something so small but this image http://i55.tinypic.com/bevek0.jpg might give you all a clue.

What's so weird is that the aquarium (35 gall) in enclosed except for when I feed the fish.

I did to a 25% water change a few days ago though.

It's a pretty tough critter though.

I dropped it into a small tank that just has a male beta in it, and it (not the beta) jumped out.

Thanks Michael

That's definately a red cherry. The males have more clear on them and the females are more solid red...it might be the other way around...but you know.

Congratulations they are beautiful shrimp

did you buy plants recently? it could of hitchhiked in as a baby on the palnts and is just starting to come out now

The only thing I can imagine is that a fish that I bought had ingested a larvae (if that's what it's called) and later excreted it.

Even if that can happen it would seem like a very long incubation period, although I don't know how small the crabs are when they first hatch.

It will remain one of life's never to be explained mysteries.

Red cherry shrimp don't have a larval stage. They are born as mini versions of adults.

IMO it would've been digested and died if that happened

Back
Top Bottom