A sign I saw at Petco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have a lfs that recommends it too. he says not to use a lot. but i guess it really all boils down to what kind of fish you have

In the past it was regarded to minimize parasites and overall diseases, but with proper Quarantine and water quality control over your system it is not recommended in long-term care due to sensitivities within fish over an extended period.

Most chain petstores will use aquarium salt as a preventative medicine. with the amount of fish in and out, the amount of hands in the tank and just the overall turnover of the product, it's best to treat BEFORE anything happens (kinda like taking asthma medication to prevent asthma attacks, odd analogy but it works)
i don't see th point of it in a home aquarium unless you're treating an illness or it's recommended for a specific fish

Most chain petstores will use aquarium salt as a preventative medicine. with the amount of fish in and out, the amount of hands in the tank and just the overall turnover of the product, it's best to treat BEFORE anything happens...

And since they themselves use the product, it's an excuse to push more product on the public, get you to buy more stuff.

as i stated in my earlier post "or it's recommended for a specific fish"
although there are debates nowadays about whether mass-bred mollies actually need it or not
they are found in bw i think and can live in full marine. a lot of places get people to believe a little table salt makes it bw.
And since they themselves use the product, it's an excuse to push more product on the public, get you to buy more stuff.
hit it right on.

Don't use table salt. It contains additives. If you want to use salt in a FW tank but don't feel like spending $8 for a pound of it you can use Kosher salt. I find at the .99 cent store for 99 cents a pound.

I did a google search about salt use and kept track of the "pro" vs "con" websites. The folks who don't like it or advise against it ran about two to one.

However, I called a tech at API and discussed it with him. Now I understand API is in the business of selling products but the guy made some very convincing points.

FWIW.

try calling 1 800 423 6458? its terta care i called them one day at 8 pm and got a guy on the phone right away and he solved my problems and told me that i didn't need all the stuff that LFS was trying to get me to buy and my fish where perfectly fine the guy was really nice and profetional

Back
Top Bottom