A sign that a fish is stressed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
When a fish swims back and forth along the glass, is it stressing? I have a couple in my tank that always seem to do this, as if they're searching for a way out. While others stay in the center of the tank.

What size tank?

Water params?

Full list of species in tank and which species are doing this?

The tank is a 45gal. tall. Params= ammonia< .25, nitrites - 0, nitrates - between 20 and 40. Temp. - 86., pH 8.3

It has been going through a mini-cycle since I over-cleaned the tank due to ich outbreak.

Species in tank:
Threadfin rainbow - 6
celebese rainbow -3
whitecloud minnows - 5
American-flag fish- 1
Swordtail - 1
Betta - 1
Bushynose pleco - 1
Silver halfbeak - 1

The swordtail has done the glass swimming behavior since she was introduced. She was also the most spotty from the ich. The flag fish chases her a lot, and he also does the glass swimming. For some reason he has singled out the swordtail. Flag fish are supposed to be peaceful, but this one is a bit aggressive. It seems worse since the temp has been raised. My Betta just started doing this in one spot in front of a cave. But he doesn't seem frantic about it. Otherwise he seems normal and inquisitive. He doesn't mess with anyone and no one messes with him.

I'm wondering if the big rock decoration I have is taking up too much swim space and stressing them out.

image-2994924199.jpg

First Awsome led lighting!!!
Second I think the rock help with hiding spots so I would leave it.

Also I have a 6 inch pictus catfish that does this to I've had him for over a month so I'm curious to!!

Is that a marineland? My first light and I loved it! For your question, not sure I I can help but I have Africans and they swim all different which ways! It's funny to watch. The fins aren't clamped so I know it's not stressed. For my tank anyway I thought maybe it was a mating thing.

i'm not a pro w/ community by any means but it sounds like you have some stressers between the little bit of ammo & the ich. i wouldnt be surprised if a few were stressed BUT i dont think the swimming is a sign of it

when my fish got stressed they seemed sad & barely swam at all. if they look happy, healthy & active, i usually dont worry lol

i would def get the ammo & ich under control, but maybe get some more plants too so it breaks up their sprinting along the glass.. & it gives them more ins & outs to swim through which can help w/ aggression too

good luck!!

How long since you treated for ich? I know that's why you raised your heat but maybe it's starting to get to your fish. Do you have an airstone in there?

Convict2161 said:
Is that a marineland? My first light and I loved it! For your question, not sure I I can help but I have Africans and they swim all different which ways! It's funny to watch. The fins aren't clamped so I know it's not stressed. For my tank anyway I thought maybe it was a mating thing.

Yes that's the Marineland light. :)

Thanks for the replies y'all.

Ronnieroach - yes I'm doing lots of pwcs trying to keep things under control. I learned a big lesson on how much cleaning is too much.

LyndaB - this Friday will be the 2 week mark for the ich treatment. All in all I had 2 fatalities since treatment started. Haven't seen any spots in about a week. There is an airstone and water level is lowered a bit so the hob filter flow is aerating. Should I go ahead and lower the temp? I only added salt once. And I added Ich Attack once also.

On Wednesday, start reducing the temp by a couple of degrees per day. You should see a difference in the fish behavior.

+1 on the reducing of the temperature. I don't think the swimming back and forth has anything to do with stress either. IMO I think its more of a sign of happy happy fish. If you do nothing else though, reduce that Ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom