A Silver Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm on a hunt for a nice silver/white/black fish that would be good for the lower part of a 55g community tank.

I have a 55g with:
x2 Veil Tail Angelfish
x6 Diamond Tetras (soon to be 10 or so)
x5 Panda Cories (soon to be 7 or so)
x6 Peppered cories (maybe I'll get another one, but I don't know)
x1 Mickey Mouse Platy
Soon to have x1 Albino Bushynose Pleco

I was watching my tank today when I realized that all my fish are either black, white or silver or some kind of combination. I was planning on getting a Bolivian ram to finish off the tank, but I'm not so sure about that because I love my little 'theme' I have going. I've tried looking for some kind of fish but all I get are albino kribs which I've read probably won't get along with my other fish. I'd love to hear some of your opinions! Also my tank will be moderately planted as soon as I get more substrate in the tank:). Thanks!!!!!

Or else, tell me that this tank will be completely full. Which it might be. I keep up with regular PWCs every week and do top offs everyday. It has an aquaclear 70 on it and I may be getting another one as well. Though that I'd add that too!

Hello! Sorry but off the top of my head I really can't think of a silver/black bottom dweller... Dwarf loaches? Well if you don't mind their color Bolivian Rams are awesome! I just got two last week and they mostly hangout at the bottom sifting the sand. I got mine at PetSmart if that makes it any easier... They said they'll be shipping and selling them now along with German Blue Rams because of high demand!

I'm thinking a keyhole cichlids. They're sort of white/creme ish. What's your opinion?

I've had no experience with keyhole cichlids but they sure do look sweet! But as they can reach up to five inches you may only be able to accommodate one or two? Honestly, I have no idea... Maybe someone else can chime in here.

Mollys are kinda mid-ish range, there are yoyo loaches that are kinda bottom dweller, but they are a pain it the @!! to catch or move. glass jar tick to move the last one i had.

marble loaches are really nice looking but tend to be $$$

I'm really liking the keyhole cichlid! I would only want maybe one or two, two max. But does anyone know of any silver apistogrammas? I've been looking at some, and there are some that are silver-y but any experiences or opinions on any that are somewhat silver or white or black? Thanks! Also, I'm looking for a large fish sort of like the bolivian that I was thinking about getting, I love the mollies, but I'm liking them for this tank:) Thanks though!

AquaKai said:
I'm on a hunt for a nice silver/white/black fish that would be good for the lower part of a 55g community tank.

I have a 55g with:
x2 Veil Tail Angelfish
x6 Diamond Tetras (soon to be 10 or so)
x5 Panda Cories (soon to be 7 or so)
x6 Peppered cories (maybe I'll get another one, but I don't know)
x1 Mickey Mouse Platy
Soon to have x1 Albino Bushynose Pleco

I was watching my tank today when I realized that all my fish are either black, white or silver or some kind of combination. I was planning on getting a Bolivian ram to finish off the tank, but I'm not so sure about that because I love my little 'theme' I have going. I've tried looking for some kind of fish but all I get are albino kribs which I've read probably won't get along with my other fish. I'd love to hear some of your opinions! Also my tank will be moderately planted as soon as I get more substrate in the tank:). Thanks!!!!!

Could try a ruby shark or rainbow! Albino if you want white, get a young one can be aggressive :)

Womble1234 said:
Could try a ruby shark or rainbow! Albino if you want white, get a young one can be aggressive :)

I really wanted one of those when I started my tank up, but they get a little too large for my tank and I don't think my cories would appreciate one of them either. But thanks for the recommendation:)

Mumma.of.two said:
What about a pair of SAE?

Oh my goodness they're so cool! I just went and googled them:). I think I may have found a winner;). Plus my LFS had them and they were healthy looking! Thanks Mumma!

AquaKai said:
Oh my goodness they're so cool! I just went and googled them:). I think I may have found a winner;). Plus my LFS had them and they were healthy looking! Thanks Mumma!

No problem :) I have 4 in my 70g and they are some of my favorite fish. Make sure you get true SAE not false or flying foxes. Heres an article that will help you ID some.
http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/may08/siamese-algae-eater-id.htm
They can be kept single but prefer groups or pairs.

Back
Top Bottom