A Word of Advice: Back-Up Filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We got home today to hear our Marineland C360 sputtering a bunch of air rather than simply moving water. After some basic troubleshooting that I made up as I went along, I started breaking it down to see if I could find the problem. Well, I found a piece of what appeared to be the impeller housing in the "out" tube.

Fortunately, in preparation for yet another tank, I had found a Penguin 200 HOB filter on sale and went ahead and bought it. It's plenty big enough for our tank (the C360 was intentionally very oversized) so instead of panicking, I just installed the Penguin, added a bit if Fritzyme 7 and went to bed. Sure, it's not a perfect solution, but it beats bit having no filter at all! Really, the only problem is the new media, but hopefully I have enough bio filter in the tank itself to get me by.

So, hoping the LFS will make it worth my while to have overpaid for my canister. If not, any recommendations for a replacement? I'm thinking something that's not a Marineland.

Oh, I almost forgot... The advice. When your walking around Petco and Petsmart desperately looking for something for your tank, keep an eye out for a backup HOB filter on sale. If yours goes to crap at 11PM, you (and your fish) are in some trouble!

Not having a filter for a few days isn't the end of the world.

A new filter is only likely to serve the same purpose as an air pump anyway early on.

We got home today to hear our Marineland C360 sputtering a bunch of air rather than simply moving water. After some basic troubleshooting that I made up as I went along, I started breaking it down to see if I could find the problem. Well, I found a piece of what appeared to be the impeller housing in the "out" tube.

Fortunately, in preparation for yet another tank, I had found a Penguin 200 HOB filter on sale and went ahead and bought it. It's plenty big enough for our tank (the C360 was intentionally very oversized) so instead of panicking, I just installed the Penguin, added a bit if Fritzyme 7 and went to bed. Sure, it's not a perfect solution, but it beats bit having no filter at all! Really, the only problem is the new media, but hopefully I have enough bio filter in the tank itself to get me by.

So, hoping the LFS will make it worth my while to have overpaid for my canister. If not, any recommendations for a replacement? I'm thinking something that's not a Marineland.

Oh, I almost forgot... The advice. When your walking around Petco and Petsmart desperately looking for something for your tank, keep an eye out for a backup HOB filter on sale. If yours goes to crap at 11PM, you (and your fish) are in some trouble!

Should have shaken old media into tank. Or tried to rig it into new unit

Back
Top Bottom