A Zebra loach question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christmasfish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm just full of quetions today... heh!

The three clowns are daring and kinda pushy over dinner..already unusual.
But my zebra sleeps in the background plants up high and he acts like a protein skimmer. He doesn't join the smaller skunks in the log or sleep under the other log.
He eats right off the top at feeding time (though he also takes care of the bottom,too. There is no sign of detrius since his introduction). And he skims the ooze off the top too. Am I under feeding?

How fast does this type grow, or are they just hearty eaters? And are they always ultra daring? The big alpha croaker came to bully him at feeding, he just rolled an eye; gave a tail flick and kept hoovering the surface. The Croaker male then gave up and continued his own eating with a pout. The skunks flash away if they even see the shadow of another fish.

Acually mine is super duper stripey, like pinstripes with black silve and ivory. And more streamlined.
I'll post him up today
But the pet guy said he was perfect for social gourami tanks

His color is more vibrant, (brown is almost black, ,the white is silver and the yellow beige is a lemony chiffon) prolly because he is young, 2 are almost the exact pattern color; but that is him!

I already have one "shy" loach hat isn't (see above)

Another loach question...
My lfs guy really really want me particularly to buy his 10 inch Clown loach. To put in my pollie's tank next year. He says TRUST him; it is hard to get them that size and it is a good tankmate for the bichir as soon as he isn't snack size (real soon at his growth rate!)

Should I? He has 2 other big ones (an 8 and another 10) at home also that he will give up so they can be in pollie's future home awaiting him to out grow the 18. These are not freebies. They be 12 bucks a pop. And they'd be seperate until polly is about 8 inches himself.(6-8 months).
Is it worth the bother of having yet another "species" tank to have already large loaches? Or will they grow with the birchir pretty much ifI get smaller ones?
What is safe from a clown loach that big? My detention escapees are already a pack of brats at 3-4 inches! How much more sassy do they get with REAL size?

And will an adult clown be safe from a 30ish sized gulp monster?

Omg. I am SO jealous. Yes, any clown over 5 inches is a frequently sought item by loach fanatics.

Coupla things tho. While I dunno bout he being a good tankmate (throw a post over at www.loaches.com forums and check with the experts), you need more then on clown. 3 minimum for happy loaches; they are social and need buddies. Btw, a minimum of 75g for big fellas like that.

Ack! With Wu Long being a min parent size of 27 (the other is a monster over 30!) in there that would be like needing a 90 gal? Eek! Glad the tank order is on hold while i sort this!

I need to ask a polypterus person how big a bite are the willing to gulp?
I would hate for all three clowns to disappear one week! (2 10's and an 8).
Maybe they would be better with the BG knife as an adult. He is a peaceful guy. And tops out at 20.

Polypterus species aren't really the type that take bites out of other fish. In general....if they can get the whole thing in their mouth then they'll eat it. Otherwise they pretty much ignore it....though they might give it a little nip now and then just to check things out. A good sized Clown Loach shouldn't have any problems at all with the Polypterus. In fact, given that Polypterus aren't particularly aggressive, it might be the other way around!!

clown

Yeah, my 3 little clowns are a brat pack. I can imagine larger ones.
They are doing good. But not as good as Exxon the Tiger/zebra.
He has changed the whole look of the tank he is in by himself. The botias were not out much. And he was a good choice for the croakers. When they exhibit the anabantid bully tendencies, he doesn't put up with any of it. And barely stops what he is doing to slap at them. And it works because croakers, being social, jostle for position instead of getting into scale pulling nipfests.
I think loaches are cute, they do a lot of odd things and look comical.
~sigh~ But that means a serious tank, sooner.
Ack .....a tank with a 26-30 inch gulp monster with a congenial disposition and 3 loaches over 8 inches.
I have to re-think dimensions. All the beasts mentioned like hidey holes.
And my monster likes to lay in leaf couches like female bettas do. So some sturdy plant. It needs to be at least double his length, and big enough to flip a U-e. That means he will go downstairs for sure. This floor won't handle the weight of an approx 150 gallons!

I'll add that, at least in my area, an 8-10 inch loach for $12 is a STEAL. I would buy them all today given the chance... and I even have room in my 125!!! :lol:

The more people say "big clown loaches?! OMG!" ; the more I wonder about my lfs guy. He is offering all his strange and weird fish since I brought in the baby royal knives. and they can't be that rare or I would't have got the hitchiking eggs. Are they hard to raise? He thinks I have fish mojo...I think it was just a panicked diligence. And anyway I mangedd rto poison my ONE SPECIAL FISH and my female gourami comitted suicde into a cup of coke! i wouldn't trust me with a fishstick!
And the price on the tank says 19.95 for the one big clown. You never see him because the tank is above eye level. You only see the discus and some big armoured catfish.

the biggest clown i've ever seen in an lfs was 6" and that was about $12 so go for it!

Back
Top Bottom