AAACK Algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMac24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Im tired of pea soup in my 75 gal tank! Water tests perfect. Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, KH, GH and even phosphates. Makes me grrr. We ran a diatom filter and it goes crystal clear yet goes back to bloom 2-3 weeks later. It wasnt as bad this time so running another diatom. Is it harmful to "scrub" the water like this?

My 36 (while not as clear as the freshly diatom filtered 75) has yet to ever see a bloom. Only difference in that tank is we went with Eco Complete.

Ideas?

Phosphates -0
Nitrate - 6ppm

I tested (and brought a sample to the LFS) the day of my weekly water change but before the change.

How much light does the tank get? Green water is most often caused by direct sunlight, or too much artificial light.

Nitrates are a bit low for the plants. You might want to increase your bioload, or start dosing with nitrate. Your plants will probably benefit from potassium (K), which is what I think rich311k meant.

Some people here run their diatom filter weekly. I run mine monthly with no bad effect on the biofilter, fish, or plants - it just makes the water look nicer.

8-10 hours of artificial light (coralife 4x65) . The tank is in an entryway and the front door has two 6in wide by 36 in high panes of opaque glass. The LFS guys dont seem to think it should be an issue?

I was under the assumption the diatom took all the good and bad from the water?

I dont have a phosphate reading from the tap. Ill get one though.

That's over 3WPG, you really need Co2 to hold that level of light..

try only using half of each fixture (1 65/side) then run your diatom and you'll probably find it doesn't come back.

Ill do that. The diatom is finishing tonight. The LFS guys didnt think I needed Co2 but.....Ill trust you guys.

iIwould add more plants. Something fast growing say anacharis and hornwort. I would dose phosphates to 1 and nitrtaes to 10. I would then either reduce light or add CO2. The hight light without CO2 is what it casing the algae.

I had the same problem. To the letter almost.

I had my tank setup and I would set to it with a old tooth-brush, vac, and water changes. I would have thick green algae on things and my water was closer to pea-soup then something I want my fish living in. The Algae was so bad it was killing my plants.

I added CO2 and leveled out my K and NO3 (NO3 went up with me adding more tiger barbs) and inside a month my tank looks wonderful. I don't have my note pad with me to give you the formulas to balance things out. Perhaps one of the more experienced aquaria keeps could help you that.

Just don't use chemicals. I made that mistake. My fishes health went to poor took me a good time to clean that bad idea up.

Back
Top Bottom