Aay Betta lovers here that want talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judymayes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am getting ready to set up tanks for Betta breeding and am trying to learn all I can to raise the very best possible fry I can and would love to talk to people about choosing colors and types as there seem to be so many and just learning all i can and talk in general
Judy
:)

I've read that breeding Bettas is difficult and that even if you do get a pair that mates, you may end up with hundreds of ugly Bettas.
I think the best way to go about it would be to get a pair at the same time from the same breeder. that way they're both relatively the same age, and are more likely to pair up.
again, I've never bred them so I wouldn't know much, but good luck to you!

Betta breeding

Hello I will definately do that I will be choosing my colors and types carefully ,Thank you for you advise it sounds like important information
Judy

Idk for sure but I'd think getting similar colors would give less of a chance of an ugly Betta fry.

Not sure on a lot of the details to breeding Bettas but have heard it is a lot of work and a lot of money to keep at it. And they can be very hard to breed.

Hi Judy
Breeding Bettas can be very time consuming (one of the reason I haven't tried it myself). A few things to consider.
The male and female can't be kept together except for the short period of mating or they could possibly injure or kill each other.
The male and female need to be conditioned on live foods prior to breeding.
The male needs to build a bubble nest to deposit the eggs in as he fertilizes them. He then cares for the eggs and young fry in this nest.
A tank with no water current is needed for the nest and the young fry.
The young fry need to be fed mircoscopic foods for the first weeks of life.
They need pristine water conditions (daily water changes) to stay healthy.
As the fry reach adulthood the males will need to be separated into different tanks/jars.
All the tanks/jars will need regular cleaning. The smaller the container the more often the water change.
If you live where it's cold then you need to consider how you are going to keep so many Bettas warm. They do best at 80F.

Edit:
It's also recommended to get a male and female from the same line of breeding but by all means you can breed bettas from the pet store. They might not produce 'pretty' bettas.
Ask around local pet stores near you to see if they will take fry from you. Many stores prefer to buy from breeders/suppliers which will leave you with many bettas and nowhere to take them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom