AC filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, how important are all the medias in the AC filters....they always come with 1 foam, 1 carbon, and an ammonia part too......Any ideas on which are the most important to have? Im getting the feeling that all three components aren't nessesary. Which is the best way to stock my filter of media? What compnents should i have in there, and what parts are useless? Thanks for all the help

You can ditch the carbon. I have 3 AC 50's and I have the sponge, and two bags of the ceramic chips for the beneficial bacteria

I agree, ditch the carbon and either double on ceramic rings or use polyfiber, like I do. I find it polishes the water nicely and removes anything the sponge misses.

Polyfiber is what pillows are stuffed with. You can buy it at a crafts store for a few bucks for a big bag. I bought a big bag years ago and still haven't used half of it. You can also wrap some polyfil/fiber around your intake to make a prefilter.

Just be sure to buy 100% pure polyfiber with no dyes or additives.

thank, i was able to get some at a local fabricland...its 100% polyester and it says nowhere on the package that its been treated with anything.

Back
Top Bottom