AC50 and Sand help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaptorBro

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have my ac 50 and the water flow going into my tank keeps hitting my sand and moving it any ideas of stoping this without turning down flow>>> I was gunna make a gravel box in the path of the AC50 but i think it might look a lil wierd in my tank any other options i will consider. I might just use a big rock instead of gravel

You can attach something to the filter's output that will spread the flow, or change the direction of it.

This way the flow is still the same (maximum) rate, just the current is affected.

Make sense buddy?

Is the water level in the tank all the way to the top? I've got an AC70 on my 29g with sand and an AC50 on my 20L with sand and I don't have any problems if the tank is filled. If the water level drops, it creates a waterfall that penetrates to the bottom pretty easily.

I've got an AC50 on my 10g with pfs. I put a few plastic plants under the waterfall and along with a rock cave. My sand stays put (even when I have the flowrate maxed out).

I think this is just general for all filters, but I have my water level right up to the top so that there is no splashing. It's also a lot quieter :) I would think that would cut back on the water flow hitting the bottom of the tank.

What size tank is it on? I have an AC50 with sand in my 30g long and have no problems like that. My little AquaTech 5-10 filter moves the sand in my 10g like crazy though.

I have an ac50 in a 10g tank and it doesnt bother the sand unless it evaporates to an insanely low level. I think a rock would work just fine, but have a hard time imagining it moving the sand around, especially since my sand is tahitian moon sand which is very very fine and easily disturbed

A large rock or a large piece of driftwood can help break up the flow.

Back
Top Bottom