Acceptable temperature change.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abiduwhabi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

What do you consider an acceptable temperature change? Since it's been getting colder when I get up I notice that my tanks temp is dropping 1-2 degrees over the night. Is this acceptable or should I toss another heater in my tank?

I have a 300 watt heater in my 55.

Hey guys,

What do you consider an acceptable temperature change? Since it's been getting colder when I get up I notice that my tanks temp is dropping 1-2 degrees over the night. Is this acceptable or should I toss another heater in my tank?

I have a 300 watt heater in my 55.
I have a similar problem with my 20, i dont beleive its to bad (it is a gradual change) and possibly another heater could help! just dont want to over heat the water! What i do is at night i just turn it up slightly so its 1-2 degrees over when i finally turn the lights off, and i notice it goes down to the correct temp by the morning! Tricky thing that water temp is -.- haha!

My 220g is in our 3 glass sided sunroom that has it's own heating and cooling unit but I keep the temps cooler in the winter out there than I do in the house. My tank temp during the day is 78 up to 80 after the metal halides have been on several hours. At night the tank temps have been going down to 76. Neither the fish or plants have any problems from the temps going up and down gradually during the day and night. I've kept tanks as small as a 20L out in that room with the temp fluxuations. A shift of 1 or 2 degrees is perfectly fine IMO.

My 220g is in our 3 glass sided sunroom that has it's own heating and cooling unit but I keep the temps cooler in the winter out there than I do in the house. My tank temp during the day is 78 up to 80 after the metal halides have been on several hours. At night the tank temps have been going down to 76. Neither the fish or plants have any problems from the temps going up and down gradually during the day and night. I've kept tanks as small as a 20L out in that room with the temp fluxuations. A shift of 1 or 2 degrees is perfectly fine IMO.
agreed. its gradual and the fish wont mind, if it goes down 10-20 degrees then concern is neccessary!

Good deal. I had a feeling that it wasn't going to affect the tank that much since it is a gradual change. :thanks:

My 75W Cobalt Aquatics heater keeps my 19g tank spot on regardless of day/night and we've already got snow!

The digital thermostats for my house lower the temperature while we are away at work, but lately (working different shift) I've noticed my tank doesnt budge with a 10 degree air:water difference

Back
Top Bottom