Acclimate large volumes of tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tedrogers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I think I'm losing some ghost shrimp when I do a water change in my 180L tank. Even a 25% change (it's hard to do less and suck the top layer off the substrate) causes a drop to about 18C, and that's about 4 buckets worth of water for me. The mollies and bamboo shrimp just seem to deal with it!

I could purchase a load more buckets, and let the water get to room temperature, but this is a proper faff with a toddler running around poking everything and posting toys / food everywhere.

So, I wonder if you good folk have a better idea than a shed load of buckets? Actually though, I just thought, perhaps you get buckets with lids? Or even a sturdy lidded 40L container? Not sure the missus would appreciate a water butt in the dining room though! [emoji2]

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Why not refill with tap water at the right temp if you think the temp change is the issue?
I use water that goes through my water heater to fill my tanks...

I use safe/prime as a conditioner(The Best). I also run a hose from the kitchen faucet straight into all my tanks. Usually the tap water and tank water are roughly the same temp, but my A/C is usually between 75-80 throughout the day. In my nano shrimp tank, I change about 30% weekly and I mix some reptical for their calcium source. I do try to get the same temp, maybe off by 1-2 degrees.

You can just buy lids to standard 5 gallon buckets at a hardware store

Thanks for the replies. Some good ideas here, especially water heater and bucket lids!

walmart a 25 gallon trash can fill,let it get to temp & pump into tank?
takes up less space than 4-5 buvkets & has critter proof lid..lol

walmart a 25 gallon trash can fill,let it get to temp & pump into tank?
takes up less space than 4-5 buvkets & has critter proof lid..lol
Good idea also...trashcan in the dining room? Mrs....hmmm. I hear the space saving argument, but not sure she'll go for it.

I've gone for the cheap option now...4 buckets and clingfilm (ceran wrap to you) under the stairs and out of sight (and mind... we'll see). Failing that I'll use an attractive home beer making barrel.

If tap water works for you, just adjust the faucet to the correct temperature. I don't see why you would use cold water only.

I don't have the space for buckets so I use water from the bathroom sink matched to the temp of the tank water via laser temp reader and treated with Prime

Back
Top Bottom