Acclimating fish that is shipped...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read various "best ways" for this, but wanted to get a consensus from members here. I am going to be getting a fish in a couple of days from a member here that is shipping him to me. What is the best way, once he arrives, to acclimate him? I guess what I am looking for is not the direct method, as in drip method, etc., I have just done some reading that talks about ammonia being high once the shipping bag is opened and what not. I usually acclimate store bought fish with the drip method, but didn't know if this is okay for shipped fish or not....
Any thoughts, ideas, knowledge....;)

Ammonia may not be present if Bag Buddies weere used. You could always dose a couple of drops of Prime if you are worried about the ammonia levels being high during acclimating. I'd float the bag in the tank you plan to put the fish in and add a half cup of water every two minutes. after about 10 minutes I'd net the fish from the bag and put him in the tank.

Ammonia may not be present if Bag Buddies weere used. You could always dose a couple of drops of Prime if you are worried about the ammonia levels being high during acclimating. I'd float the bag in the tank you plan to put the fish in and add a half cup of water every two minutes. after about 10 minutes I'd net the fish from the bag and put him in the tank.
Bryan, by Bag Buddies, do you mean Kordon breather bags? I did send some of those to the member that I am getting him from to ship him in....

No, the Bag Buddies are "tablets" added to the bag to neutralize the ammonia and wastes.

Oh.....not sure about that, but I kinda doubt it. So, when he gets here (I don't have Prime) what should I do?

More than likely there will be ammonia in the bag because the person that shipped may not have stopped feeding 2 days prior to shipping. Even then there will most likely be a low level of ammonia in that water.

Just drip acclimate like you planned, you have no way of knowing if bag buddies was added or not. Better safe than sorry. Not to mention the ph from their location and yours will most likely be different as well as temp. The drip acclimation will eliminate all worry.

I stopped feeding him one day before I sent him, and I also checked the water I put into the bag... since it was from my tank. There was none in it. Just acclimate normally, he's a toughie, I'm sure he'll be fine. He made it that far, didn't he?! Haha.

I stopped feeding him one day before I sent him, and I also checked the water I put into the bag... since it was from my tank. There was none in it. Just acclimate normally, he's a toughie, I'm sure he'll be fine. He made it that far, didn't he?! Haha.
Here are some pictures I took of him after I added him to the tank....enjoy! Thanks Rachael...he is a beauty! :) He, of course, had to show the ramshorn snails who was boss .. :D. Right now, he appears to be enjoying swimming through the small bubbles that the sponge filter produces.

I just teared up! He looks sooo happy! Thank you so much for taking my very special (and expensive, LOL!) Balthazar! You guys are gonna love each other, he likes to dance in the front of the take and flare at you. It's so cute! But don't tell him I said that. He likes to be the tough guy. =]

Yeah...I noticed that right off the bat when I put him in the tank. He swam up to the ramshorm and immediately started pecking at them all flared and everything. I had to laugh, quietly, of course so not to hurt his ego...lol
He did the dance for me when he saw me feeding my 29g tank so I dropped him two betta pellets and he chomped them down! He is in good hands, Rachael. Thanks again, so much!

aawww. thanks Matt! I did my regular Sunday maintenance on my tanks today and he was very interested in my mini gravel vacuum. He watched very intently while I cleaned and even came up to my arm several times. I think Balthazar is a pretty happy fish! I will keep pictures updated.

Back
Top Bottom