Acclimating fish the easy/lazy way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My rolled bags never seem to work. I always walk back in two minutes later with an almost tipped over bag. I usually either shut the lid of the tank onto the bag or use masking tape and tape the bag to the edge of the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Having the longer bags helps. You need plenty of extra at the top to roll down.

If it's dripping slowly enough, it shouldn't matter much. Whenever I've done the opposite method of dripping from the tank into a container, the water is noticeably cooler at the end of acclimation. When I float the bag instead, there's no noticeable temp difference (by touch).

Understand completely. Just makes no sense to me. I prefer to get my good fish from the same place each time. We've got the same parameters and only float for temp. After that it's reach in the bag, grab them with one or two hands, and drop em straight in the QT. Easy peasy !!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Understand completely. Just makes no sense to me. I prefer to get my good fish from the same place each time. We've got the same parameters and only float for temp. After that it's reach in the bag, grab them with one or two hands, and drop em straight in the QT. Easy peasy !!

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

You're lucky to have access to a person that will sit on the phone with you and test their water to compare parameters.

Water in the Tank

So you dump the lfs water in to your tank? ??? Genius!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Brook...

Yes, there's a bit of the LFS's water that goes into my tanks. I don't see how you avoid a little. But, it's not the end of the world. There's nothing in the tank water that's going to harm healthy fish and I have a small filter that's purpose is to remove a little of the toxins in the water and I change 50 to 60 percent of the tank water every few days anyway. There's no drama in allowing a bit of water from another tank into mine.

B

You're lucky to have access to a person that will sit on the phone with you and test their water to compare parameters.

It's actually in their best interest. When you're dropping $150 and more on one fish and up to $600 on a confirmed pair (not including shipping) they really want to make sure everything goes flawlessly. And for you to return. (y)

To be honest I just drop them in a net over a bucket after floating the bag for 45 min. Never had a dead or shocked fish.

Has anyone ever tried using a small funnel with cotton at the bottom to keep the drip slow? I was thinking about doing that.

Now if the container the tank water is dripping into is insulated, then that should take care of temp fluctuations.

Good idea! I bet most of us have a portable Igloo or similar brand of hot/cold insulated carrier. :)

I'm using a insulated box I had frozen food shipped to me in for a less stressful trip home from the store. Someone (sorry, can't place who) mentioned they did the same kind of thing and that during cold weather she puts a container of warm water in there to help the fish bag stay warmer. You could do a similar thing except on a smaller scale as part of your acclimating process. It won't be exact like it would be *inside* the tank, but could help.

Somewhere else I picked up the tip to have you fish put in a bigger bag than usual at the store. More water equals less polluted water during the trip home and during acclimation.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

All of you DIYers. I wish I had that patience.

Yep. I do enjoy problem-solving and that *is* an important part of successful fish-keeping...but...all the ways I tried to rig up an equivalent system failed in some way.

So I gave in on this one! Lol.

I put a board across the rim of the tank for a place to set a small pitcher of tank water. Then I use airline with a control valve for the drip. I have a small fishing weight tied to one end to make sure it stays put in the bottom of the pitcher.

Brilliant. Did NOT think of that! Huzzah!

....I change 50 to 60 percent of the tank water every few days anyway...
B

How big a tank? Do you use a Python-like water changer?

I do and since it's below freezing right now I'm using it for emptying, also. For me it doesn't drain the tank without the tap being on full blast. I'm wasting massive amounts of water!!! Doesn't that bug you, too? Have you figured another easy way to drain the tank so much so often?

How big a tank? Do you use a Python-like water changer?

I do and since it's below freezing right now I'm using it for emptying, also. For me it doesn't drain the tank without the tap being on full blast. I'm wasting massive amounts of water!!! Doesn't that bug you, too? Have you figured another easy way to drain the tank so much so often?

I couldn't stand the water being wasted to drain the tank quickly, but without it being on full blast it was taking hours to drain half my tank. I went to Home Depot and picked up a little submersible pond pump and some vinyl tubing to fit onto it. Now I just drop the pump in the tank, run the tubing attached to it to my bathtub, plug in the pump and it drains half my tank, about 75 gallons, in around eight minutes.

I couldn't stand the water being wasted to drain the tank quickly, but without it being on full blast it was taking hours to drain half my tank. I went to Home Depot and picked up a little submersible pond pump and some vinyl tubing to fit onto it. Now I just drop the pump in the tank, run the tubing attached to it to my bathtub, plug in the pump and it drains half my tank, about 75 gallons, in around eight minutes.

Me neither, i have relatively small tanks and little patience for slow draining using python. 3 buckets is no big thing.. a larger tank and I'd def. use a high flow pump..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom