Ace ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
I calle ace hardware today to see about ammonia. She said they have it in industrial cleaners section. I asked her about the ingredeants an all it said was 10 percent ammonium hydroxide. It's about 1.98 for 32 ounces or something like that. I've read some forums saying it's too strong and will corrode the tank. Also the ace manager told me It wasn't the right kind for a aquarium but he also said he's never owned fish so he's not an expert. It's just ace hardware brand 10 percent ammonium hydroxide janitorial strength. That's what the lady said I'm going to go there today if you guys can confirm it is the proper kind. And what are chealting conpounds? Are they safe for aquariums? Is it ok if it has that In it? How much do I need it's pretty cheap my aquariums 28 gallons and I was going to cycle my brothers 2 gallon.

Yep, thats the stuff... Just be super careful when you add it to the tank... it literally takes drops. My usual suggestion for first time ammonia dosers--- DONT SMELL IT!!! It will burn every hair in your nose off (I guess thats good for some people lol), but seriously, it'll mess you up big time. My first thought was to put my nose down against the top and smell... learned my lesson ;)

Ok so do I have to wear like googles, gloves any of that stuff? And does it seriously get you high? I'm not going to sniff it I'm just wondering! Should I take any precautions such as not touching it to my bare skin wearing something special I don't know I've never used ammonia some people say it's extremely dangerous other say just don't drink it thank!

:lol: It's not a super dangerous chemical, but it is a strong cleaning solution and anti-bacterial. I wouldn't take a bath in it, but if you get some on your skin just wipe it off and you'll be fine. If you trust yourself not to get ammonia in your eye, I wouldn't worry about goggles ;)

It may sting in an open cut or scratch, but it wouldn't be any worse.

Also, smelling it won't get you high, it'll just make you feel like your nose and throat are on fire, and being peed on, at the same time.

I would add 1 tsp to your 28gal. That will put you right about 4 ppm.

Ok thanks am I trying for 5 or 4 ppm? Also I know that ammonia will turn into nitrites, an even worse chemical, then be turned to nitrate a not so dangerous chemical. So the cycle ends when you reach zero ammonia and nitrites right? How many nitrates am i looking for? Lower the better or higher the better or a certain amount? thanks for all your help I wear glasses so I won't need goggles and I won't sniff it lol! Also how often/how are you supposed to stir the sand? Mine is 4 inches in some places and .2 in other places lol unique aquascaping!

anywhere between 3 and 5ppm dosing will be fine. And like you said, once both ammonia and nitrIte return to 0 your cycle is done. It's hard to predict how high the nitrAtes will go. During your cycle they don't matter much (unless they get really really high they can screw things up). Otherwise, when you're cycle is done you'll want to do a water change to get them down. Ultimately, you want to maintain 0 ammonia and nitrIte, and less than 20ppm nitrAte to keep things healthy for your fishes.

You can stir the sand every week when you do your water change.

You should shoot for 4 ppm. Once your tank can turn 4 ppm ammonia into 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and x nitrates (nitrates should be any number but 0 when your cycle is complete) within 24 hours, your cycle is done. When your ammonia gets low or is 0, bump it back up to 4ppm. You don't need to wait until it is 0, but I'd at least wait 24 hours.

As for nitrate, while you are cycling don't worry unless it's like 150+ ppm, as one user (mommytron) had her cycle stall (bacteria stop eating ammonia and nitrite) and proceed normally again when she changed the water.

Thanks for all your help guys! I still have to buy a test kit though before I can start lol! I found the aquarium fundamentals liquid master freshwater testkit for 17.99 plus 8.99 shipping on big als I'm going to order! And then I'll start the cycle!

Back
Top Bottom