Acquired an Empty BiOrb?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,
Right now I have two tanks set up. A 20g community and a 5g Betta/snail. I'm comfortable experience wise and have certainly learned a lot from here. I know what I'm doing now, and things have been running smoothly.

Background Story:
However, before I really got into the hobby, aka knowing about cycling and such, I bought a BiOrb mostly for aesthetic appeal, not understanding it's poor filtration. Well, got some use out of it and then tucked it away after setting up the 20g. Then, I set it up for my math teacher, who bought a Betta and kept it in the store cup! I figured the BiOrb would be much better. Unfortunately, the Betta recently died (due to poor upkeep by the math teacher) and he is giving me back the tank. I find it such a shame that the young Betta died from poor water quality, when it could have been avoided if I stepped in (It just wasn't my place to.. the teacher felt he was doing a good job and it's not I would ever say, "Hey um, your doing that wrong, so let me").

The Question:
ANYWAY, like I said, I now have the BiOrb back. My mind began churning with thoughts as to what I could use it for, but then I thought about it's quality. Isn't the filtration rather poor? I started this thread to get your opinion, should I set it up, or would it be better to avoid, as it would only create a hassle? I wish that it was designed so that other filtration methods could be used, but yeah it can't. I just got excited for another tank opportunity, but nothing is set in stone as I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

So, what do you think?
Thanks for your time!
P.S. I created the headings so that those could choose to read the story or just skip to the question.

I'm not sure how many gallons that bio-orb is, but I think that any small tank with not-so-great filtration is a great candidate for a shrimp tank.

I looked on their website, and noticed that it would be quite a hassle to try to put a different filter in it. You can't use a HoB, and a cannister filter would be overkill.

The only thing I could come up with would be an internal filter. I have two of them myself as extra/backup filtration on my 20g and 10g tanks.

Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Kitchen & Dining
This filter (Tom Aquarium mini internal filter) is in my 10g with an Aqueon Quietflow 10. I actually intend to use it with my hospital tank whenever needed, and run it in my 10g otherwise. It's very compact and filters 45 GPH, but you probably would have difficulty attaching it to the side of the bio-orb. Perhaps you could lay this on the bottom of the tank?

Amazon.com: DUETTO INTERNAL POWER MULTI-FILTER (92GPH): Home & Garden
This filter is a Marinland product, and there are two different sizes. The one I have in my 20g (with an Aqueon Quietflow 30) claims to be for 20g tanks and filters 95 GPH. The smaller one might be a better bet, but this one isn't as compact as my Tom Aquarium mini filter above, so I'm not sure it would be a good option for your tank.

Tetra makes a few internal filters as well, but I haven't read anything positive about those. I hope you find a workable solution.

Glad to see u have a biorb. I have a biube. As for the shrimp I do know people who have shrimp in biorbs and they have been successful.however as a shrimp only tank you may want to get some more feed back. Good luck.

Ooops, sorry guys, it's 4 gallons. Thank you so much, James, for posting all those filter links. However, like you've stated, it might be difficult to attach any to the rounded sides.
So basically, I'm looking at either Bettas or shrimp? It's not like I think I have a million options, I know I'm limited to do size and filtration. I certainly wouldn't put any Tetras or Cories in there, just seeing what ideas you guys might have.

Thanks!

How's about a qt? Shrimp would work... But keeping that thing cycled would be a bear, as shrimp have almost no bioload.

Why y'all gotta be hatin' on the shrimp :)

I love my shrimp:
19738-albums1199-picture9286.jpg

Small would be good for a 2.5. :)

caridina and neocaridina are extremely active as well, if the water quality is good.

(sorry, have to defend my little friends)

I'd get a small air pump and pop a little sponge filter in there. Won't be the most attractive method of filtration, but IMO it would be far superior to the woefully inadequate UGF that's included in the kit. Then you could start looking at stuff like a single male betta, or maybe some nano fish like Boraras spp. :)

Lol! I don't hate shrimp I just don't care for them. I wouldn't mind having a couple in one of my tanks, but I wouldn't want just a tank of them. There's nothing going on but the very bottom, and they are sooo tiny. But you enjoy your shrimp, lol.

fort384 said:

I love my shrimp:

Small would be good for a 2.5. :)

caridina and neocaridina are extremely active as well, if the water quality is good.

(sorry, have to defend my little friends)

Lol, same here. I don't hate them... They're just not my type. Rofl!

I'd get a small air pump and pop a little sponge filter in there. Won't be the most attractive method of filtration, but IMO it would be far superior to the woefully inadequate UGF that's included in the kit. Then you could start looking at stuff like a single male betta, or maybe some nano fish like Boraras spp. :)
I saw this really awesome Betta at my LFS the other day, but I doubt he'd still be there by the time I got my tank cycled. :(
I looked up the Boraras (Aka Dwarf Rasbora?) and I actually really liked them, but they sound risky to me. On a website it said they are very sensitive to water parameters, and that doesn't usually go so well in small tanks.
Hm...

mandy2936 said:
I saw this really awesome Betta at my LFS the other day, but I doubt he'd still be there by the time I got my tank cycled. :(
I looked up the Boraras (Aka Dwarf Rasbora?) and I actually really liked them, but they sound risky to me. On a website it said they are very sensitive to water parameters, and that doesn't usually go so well in small tanks.
Hm...

I have some microrasboras in one of my 5g's. They have worked out great fwiw. I have 9, and all are healthy.

Back
Top Bottom