Acrylic or Glass 150G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scrippin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I plan on upgrading to a 150G freshwater soon, and I'm looking for some opinions on whether to purchase a glass or acrylic aquarium. Money isn't really an issue, I'm 100% concerned about appearance and weight.

Plus I've read conflicting articles saying acrylic will actually yellow over time if you have powerful lights?

I have 18 acrylic tanks, including one I have had for 26 years . Never had a problem with yellowing but you do have to be careful about scratching them.

Sent from my iPod touch
using Aquarium Advice
Rlederer

Yeah, that was maybe 45 years ago when acrylic tanks were first being made or if cheap acrylic is used. Any of the name brand tanks or reputable custom fabrication companies will be using good acrylic. I have two that are over 30 years old, no yellowing, but beat to heck...LOL

benefits of acrylic are;
less weight
greater strength
close too 100% clarity/no color (colorless glass costs a premium)
better insulation/less heat transfer
virtually leak proof
can be easily DIY drilled and plumbed
drawbacks are;
scratches easily BUT they can be buffed and polished out
depending on the construction and other factors, sometimes the top bracing can warp from the lights.

benefits of glass;
you can usually work inside a glass tank easier than an acrylic
less expensive

the drawbacks of glass are pretty much the opposite of the benefits of acrylic.
glass can be scratched as well, it isn't as easy, but you can't buff out the scratches in glass very easily either, so.....

IMO acrylic always trumps glass (y)

Back
Top Bottom