Acrylic or glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason6942

Aquarium Advice Activist
Witch one is better acrylic or glass? I have a acrylic but might get a 60 gal glass. Any opinions

it depends on what your using it for. glass is much cheaper and better for small aquariums imo but acrylic is good for big aquariums and custom made aquariums. glass is very hard to scratch, but when you do you cant really get it out. acrylic scratches really easy but you can sand/buff out the scratches. a 10 gallon glass tank is 10-30+ dollars whereas a 10 gallon acrylic is 200+. acrylic tanks look really nice when they are new but once they are full of scratches look terrible imo. if you know that your going to be safe around it, no children playing around it etc. i would go with acrylic

also acrylic is much more clear than glass, but when it ages it turns yellow. acrylic is also much more resistant to cracking. glass will remain the same color, but some types of glass have a green tint. i personally have all glass tanks, but would definitely buy acrylic if given the chance

Yeah I'm looking at a 60 gal glass with a really nice stand for like 400(no filter or anything) but can get a seaclear acrylic 50 gal for 500, no stand though and no filters just hoods and lights for each. I know i want to put the hydor h2 show atlantis theme with bright ciclids in whatever one i end up with.

Yeah I'm looking at a 60 gal glass with a really nice stand for like 400(no filter or anything) but can get a seaclear acrylic 50 gal for 500, no stand though and no filters just hoods and lights for each. I know i want to put the hydor h2 show atlantis theme with bright ciclids in whatever one i end up with.

That's actually not too bad of a price for the acrylic. Let us know what you decide to go with!

i would get the acrylic and build a custom stand you can make some pretty good looking stands if you do some research and you can put it at the exact height that you want

Back
Top Bottom