acrylic vs glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arcylic costs more and is lighter and also easy to scratch
Glass costs less and is heavier and harder to scratch

This is probably only a thought if you are going for an unusually large tank (150+). A glass tank of that size is really heavy.

I agree with JC. Glass tanks don't scratch as easily as acrylic. That's the only problem that I've come across with mine. It can be buffed out, but when you have scratches on the inside of the tank, it's harder to do.

acrylic=crappy+easy scratches+trying to patch up leaks getting non plastic reacting agents
glass=heavy+hard to get scratches but can leak easier+any silicone to patch up glass

I love my acrylic tank, I think its just more a personal preferance of mine though. I'm getting another acrylic soon, but a smaller one.

it may not be much but also keep in mind that light passes easier through acrylic. thus, when used in SW applications the vibrant coulours stand out a bit more. Probably not a huge difference though.

Luis

acrylic can be put into different shapes readily? So you can get shapes that glass can't have.

I've heard people say that acrylic is stronger than glass, but my only acrylic tank is an Eclipse hex 5 so I don't know that for sure. :?

I, too, have heard that acrylic is stronger than glass, more durable. You can drop it and it probably won't break.

The BIGGEST advantage of acrylic IMO is the interesting shapes you can get out of them. Of course the weight is a factor as well, but for anything large the water is going to outweigh the tank by quite a bit anyway. With acrylic you can do things like:

tunnel1.jpg

Not everyone's taste, but allows for unique tanks.

http://www.bizarreaquariums.com/promo/tube.php

Pretty cool shape but I would not pay that much for it unless I had a bunch of extra money.

RoK said:
Pretty cool shape but I would not pay that much for it unless I had a bunch of extra money.

I would not pay that much for it even if I did have a bunch of money. That thing costs more than my complete 30g set up, including the stand. :roll:

I agree with most of the others, scratching being the biggest problem. One advantage of plastic in ease of drilling if you want to run a cannister filter without hoses showing. I have had both and prefer glass. :D

Back
Top Bottom