Active Carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all, my tank is just fine now. Only probelm, the wood i added awhile ago still hasnt released all its tanins. The water is a gross brown, like the color of dehydrated urine. I did maybe 5 PWCs so far, and its gross STILL! I heard you can add active carbon to your tank/filter. That true?

Last edited:
Using Activated Carbon

Hello mr...

The best thing to do is to remove half the tank water every week until the tannins are gone. The more water you remove and the more often you remove it, the better. The water changes will remove the tannins much faster than the carbon media.

If you have plants in the tank, the brown tint in the water can affect the lighting, especially if you keep some of the more light sensative or demanding plants.

I had the tannin issue at one time in one of my tanks and just started an aggressive water change schedule. Funny thing though, after the driftwood stopped leaching the tannins, I kept up the large and frequent water changes. It was the best thing I did for my fish and plants.

So in this case, something good came from something not so good.

B

Decided to do both. Bought some active carbon today and i rubbed it into my cartridge. tomorrow im going to change the water. about how long would it take for just the carbon to suck up all the tannins?

mr.waffles1842 said:
Decided to do both. Bought some active carbon today and i rubbed it into my cartridge. tomorrow im going to change the water. about how long would it take for just the carbon to suck up all the tannins?

If you had a large enough pot you could've boiled it for 20mins&that would've removed most if not all the tannins...

Either AC or Purigen. I've actually heard that the latter works better in this particular case.

With wood? its been in the tank for about a month already, and the water looks alot better thanks to the carbon and PWCs. I pour that water on rocks.

Back
Top Bottom