Ad in the paper for tank. What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been in the market for a 70-90 gal for my 2 oscars and a pleco.

However, I saw an add in the paper today that reads like this:

"55 aquarium with stand and all accessories. EV/Yearger Heater. $150. or best offer."

1) What's "EV/Yearger Heater" any way.

2) Is this too good of a deal to pass up (assuming everything's in good shape)? If I got this, I suppose I'd be forced to sell an oscar back to the store.

I really can't get this and a 70-90 gal. What do you think?

The heater is probably ebo/jager heater. Our classifieds here butcher fish names and manufacturers

The heater is probably ebo/jager heater
That's exactly what I was thinking when I read it.
It really depends on what all "accessories" it comes with. Probably not a bad deal.

Probably not a bad deal, indeed. You would definitley need to sell back one of the oscars though. Two of them would not live happily at all, full grown, in a 55 gal tank.

See what is in the tank, and how much you can sell it all individually for. As Frank_the_tank said, you might be able to make a little money. I'm sure if you showed up with say...$125 in cash, the guy would take it.

good luck

It looked good and I took it. My biggest oscar is just 2 1/2 inches, so it ought to be an ok home for a year or so, then I can sell it for something bigger when the time comes.

For now though, it's all in good shape, but very dirty. The guy recommended Lime Away or something like that. Can some one tell me the best way to get it clean? Bleach? Rinsing for hours? What?

TIA

the best way that i found for getting it clean is to use vinager. just make shure the glass is covered in vinager (i used a rag and just left it there). it took up to a week for it to work for me.

Vinegar and water!! If you opt to use a weak bleach solution, rinse well and add extra dechlor to the water, drain and do again!

i was told by a LFS that you can bleach a dirty tank and fake corals rinse 10 times and leave out in the sunshine for a whole day but ive never done it so its not by experience as for the tank sounds like a great deal did you check the seals ? tell the guy to let you put water in it to make sure they are not rotten or dry rotted just a word of caution a friend of mine bought a "good deal" got it home when she began putting water in it it had a leak in the seal she had it fixed but she called the guy and he said you bought it as is i hope its in good shape and i think your fish will enjoy their new home!!!!

BTW. I would really appreciate it if someone could point me to the best places they know to learn about fishless cycling. Some links to good online stores for filters, or liquid test kits or that bio-spira would be nice too. Thanks.

For hard water scales, vinegar is best. But you need to soak the tank in it. I would simple lie the tank on its side & pour a thin layer on. The little lip on the rim should keep enough of the vinegar over the glass. You do have to do all the sides seperately tho, so this might take a while! :(

I have heard of people using CLR or Lime away in the fish tank. However, you have to rinse really, really well to get rid of all residue. I would only chance using chemicals if vinegar woun't work.

http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/Fishlesscycle.htm
This is one of the better article on fishless cycling. There are dozens of threads in this forum on the subject also!

Thanks.

Now with the letting the tank soak with vinegar... are we talking days per side here? Would scrubbing accelerate the process? Or is this one of those times that the culprit is non-visible, and only be soaking it in vinegar of hours upon hours can I kill it?

BTW, If I stuck my old hob filter in the new tank, would that accelerate the cycling?

Sorry for all the meticulous questions. I just want to start this tank right.

Yes, I'd run your old filter together with the new one, as well as any/all decorations and gravel from the old tank. If your fish load is the same as the old tank, you won't see a cycle occur.

Use a razor blade to scrape off as much as you can while the vinegar is on, then you can also use a Scotch-Brite type green pad, a brand new one, and scrub with that as well. I like vinegar too, but I am too impatient to wait. If you have the time then soaking each pane separately will soften it up over several days.

TankGirl said:
Yes, I'd run your old filter together with the new one, as well as any/all decorations and gravel from the old tank. If your fish load is the same as the old tank, you won't see a cycle occur.

Wow, that's great to hear. Should I basically be able to put fish in right away if I do that, or should I wait a few days and do some water tests?

Once again, sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to screw it up.

Thanks again to everyone who's helped.

If you have the same fish load, it will be important to put the fish in right away along with the filter, decorations, gravel, etc. The bacteria present on these objects will die without the ammonia source of your fish, so do it all at the same time. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Will do! I don't know what I'd do without this site.

If anyone's interested, I live in South Dakota where, if nothing else, we have interesting rocks. I plan to decorate the tank with some rocks that are characteristic of this area... i.e. very few, if any, store-bought decorations. I think it'll turn out nice. Once I get it all established, this'll be the first place I got with pictures.

I finally got it set up. Thanks for the help. If you want to see it, check my gallery.

And where do you guys find your plants? LFS, or online or what?

Back
Top Bottom