Add 2nd heater for winter as a precaution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimsz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 40 gallon tank in an office that has the correct sized adjustable heater.

There is the possibility that the heat could be turned down to 58 without my discovering it for a day or so. Since I am only there in the evenings, it could be a long cold day before I discover this.

I know heaters are such that they only raise the temperature 5 or 10 degrees of the surrounding air temperature.

I have 2 smaller heaters (non-adustable) laying around that are used to heat up my change water, would it be beneficial to put one of these heaters (rated for 20 gallons) into the 40 gallon tank along with the 200w heater in there now?

They would both shut off at about the right temp but I am thinking should there be a drop in temperature due to the room getting cold, having two heaters on opposite sides of the tank would stop the water from dropping as low as it may with only one heater present.

Since I live in a snowy and cold region I want to make sure the fish are protected.

Yes, It can't hurt adding the second heater (even if it is undersized). I'm thinking about doing the same thing when I get my 75g set up in the basement. I'm worried with winter approaching and my fish being in the basement of my new house they might get a little cold.

Yes, It can't hurt adding the second heater (even if it is undersized). I'm thinking about doing the same thing when I get my 75g set up in the basement. I'm worried with winter approaching and my fish being in the basement of my new house they might get a little cold.

OK, thanks!

I have two filters, one on each end of the tank so the water is distributed pretty well and I will move the heaters more out of the center and towards the sides.

Back
Top Bottom