Add a new peace of aquarium wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissa81407

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Image1490321936.712817.jpg add this peace of aquarium wood two days ago and now it looks super slimy and bubbly. Should I be worried?

I would not worry. This often happens with new driftwood. I believe it releases sugars that feed fungus (the slime) for a few weeks. If you don't like it, you could give it a good brush/rinse or boil it for a bit. Boiling will help release tannins as well.

I would not worry. This often happens with new driftwood. I believe it releases sugars that feed fungus (the slime) for a few weeks. If you don't like it, you could give it a good brush/rinse or boil it for a bit. Boiling will help release tannins as well.

Thank you. I was worried it was going to kill my fish.

I get this on new driftwood even though I boil it for an hour, which gets rid of most of the tannins (the stuff that causes brown water and lowers pH). It's not harmful though, it will go away on its own eventually or snails will eat it. You can scrub the slime to get it off but it may come back if the "slime" still finds stuff to eat.

That looks like Mopani. Just as a heads up, it will still do that after you boil it. I boiled mine for 1 hour everyday for a week, and it still did that and leached tannins. Some say boiling also weakens the wood, but still worth doing. Luckily it is harmless.

I get this on new driftwood even though I boil it for an hour, which gets rid of most of the tannins (the stuff that causes brown water and lowers pH). It's not harmful though, it will go away on its own eventually or snails will eat it. You can scrub the slime to get it off but it may come back if the "slime" still finds stuff to eat.

Oh I've got lots of snails in another tank I'll put them in this one thank you.

That looks like Mopani. Just as a heads up, it will still do that after you boil it. I boiled mine for 1 hour everyday for a week, and it still did that and leached tannins. Some say boiling also weakens the wood, but still worth doing. Luckily it is harmless.

Oh man that suck I'll make sure to avoid this type of wood in the future thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom