Add another filter for Malawi tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 60 top-fin on my 55G malawi and I'm overstocking so should or can I add another filter? If so what size of what kind?

Fishie said:
I have a 60 top-fin on my 55G malawi and I'm overstocking so should or can I add another filter? If so what size of what kind?

Well, don't overstock too much. It can help with aggression but can potentially lead to bad water parameters.

You can never have to much filtration IMO unless it is turning the water at a violent rate. You need to consider that the filters will help clean up the appearance of the tank. But the harmful ammonia and nitrates created by the fish and there waste won't go away with adding another filter.

I have always found a canister filter the most beneficial as it adds a little more water volume and normally you have options of customizable media.

Anyhow, to answer your question I'd still get another. A question for you, what is your stock list?

Fishie said:

IMO you can never have enough filtration. There's a member here with a 55 Cichlid tank (Malawi) and she runs 2 aquaclear 110's. I run a FX5 and a AC 110 on my 75g mixed African tank. I also have a Koralia 750 power head.

So to answer your question. Yes you can add another filter and of it were me I'd add a AC 110. I love those filters, there quite and there are a lot of options for media, there's a lot of room in there.

A canister would be your best bet if you can afford it.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Power-Filters/I/AquaClear-Power-Filters.aspx

Readingexcalibur said:
Well, don't overstock too much. It can help with aggression but can potentially lead to bad water parameters.

You can never have to much filtration IMO unless it is turning the water at a violent rate. You need to consider that the filters will help clean up the appearance of the tank. But the harmful ammonia and nitrates created by the fish and there waste won't go away with adding another filter.

I have always found a canister filter the most beneficial as it adds a little more water volume and normally you have options of customizable media.

Anyhow, to answer your question I'd still get another. A question for you, what is your stock list?

I'm overstocking for aggression forgot to say that!! 1 acei, 2 red zebras , 4 yellow labs , 2 kenyi , 1 bumblebee, and 2 auratus. Want to get 1 more bumblebee and acei if I can.

Fishie said:
I'm overstocking for aggression forgot to say that!! 1 acei, 2 red zebras , 4 yellow labs , 2 kenyi , 1 bumblebee, and 2 auratus. Want to get 1 more bumblebee and acei if I can.

How many decorations do you have? They take up water volume and will hurt your stocking level. If you don't have to much, you may be fine to add them. However, the will get bigger and stress the bio load of your aquaria. I'm sure some are going to disagree with my statement. But IME with Africans, they do have potential to be a little better off. You are going to need to monitor your water extremely well as I see potential nitrate issues with this stock. One more thing, someone on this forum called filters a "nitrate factory". Consider that if you have nitrate issues!

I have an Penguin 350 and AquaClear 70 on my African Tank....I like both....Canister filter if you can afford it though is probably the way to go.....

Cornstar said:
Just curious, what is the purpose of filtration if it is not to remove more waste?

Well it removes the waste out of the aquarium. But then it just gets stuck in the filter. It still breaks down into nitrites which then gets "eaten" by the beneficial bacteria and turned into nitrate. Sorry for the cycle redundancy. But it goes along the line of what you add to the tank will never come out until you remove it by water changes.

Great thanks everyone for the info. I think I have too many decorations so I might take a little out and get another filter. How much would a canister filter cost? If it cost to much I would just get a power filter.

Live fast-growing plants will eat the nitrates and will soak it up. You can make a nitrate sponge by putting hornwort in a filter. It just needs light to grow.

Aquaclear 110 is the best HOB. For cheap canister google sun sun hw302 - same as aqua top cf300. Run either one alongside your top fin 60 (until you get tired of the noisy top fin).

Fishie said:
Great thanks everyone for the info. I think I have too many decorations so I might take a little out and get another filter. How much would a canister filter cost? If it cost to much I would just get a power filter.

Well, best bang for your buck, order an aquatop. You can even get a uv model for around 125 or under. However, the aquatops, more than others, are extremely overrated on water pressure so you can expect at least half of the advertise gph.

I have had a bad experience with fluval, they are not bad, just not ideal IMO. Cannot realy customize media as much neither. I am a fan of filstar Rena xP series. I personally run two xP3s on my 60g. I paid 145 per filter from my lfs here in vegas. I love then because they are super quite, great life spans, and you can customize the media any way you like!

Most people will recommend the Marineland Emperor 400 (400gph has 2 biowheels) or the AquaClear 110 (500) Hang On Back (HOB) filters. The AquaClear are quieter.

I have a 55 gallon with 1 Emperor 400 (400gph), 1 AquaClear 70 (300 gph), a reverse flow Under Gravel Filter w/ 2 AquaClear 50 Powerheads (270 gph), and 1 ATI Foam Filter w/ 1 AquaClear 30 Powerhead (175 gph). That is a total of 1415 gph. It is stocked with 5 Pseudotropheus acei, 5 Labidochromis caeruleus, 3 Metraclima estherae, and 1 "Bristlenose Pleco". I do weekly 70% PWC by monitoring Nitrate levels.

I might get the cheap canister or what you have^. My Topfin is very loud and I have to sleep with it so I might get 2 of whatever I decide. Are canisters quiet?

Yes, canisters are very quiet. You can go longer between cleanings, but they do take longer to clean when you do. Personally I'd go for a canister since you already have a hob.

Slade said:
Yes, canisters are very quiet. You can go longer between cleanings, but they do take longer to clean when you do. Personally I'd go for a canister since you already have a hob.

That's good I think it would be worth the investment and I got the money! :)

Back
Top Bottom