Adding a Betta to my 55gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarthell

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, the age old question. Can I add my male Betta, Nuru, to my established 55 gallon?

Currently stocked with:
Lots of shrimp
7 purple harlequin rasboras
7 CPDs
7 Emerald Green rasboras
3 Otos
A shift ton of snails (assassins, nerite, mts)
Lots of plants, driftwood, rock

My main concern is the shrimp population. I plan on moving as many as I can before he goes in, then periodically rehoming them to the 90 gallon.

Will the harlequin be in danger? The other fish hide all of the time already so they'll be fine.

Reason for moving him: I want scarlet badis or crustaceans (small lobsters) and Nuru is hogging the 10 gallon.

Sent from my SGP561 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nuru the dumbo fin betta

Attachments

• 1464272435165.jpg
    1464272435165.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 72
His new home, hopefully

Attachments

• 1464272566456.jpg
    1464272566456.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 71
What's up friend?

Honestly depends on the Betta, I've got some that can be trusted with baby guppy fry, others that will chase everything. Typically the ones with long fins are safer as they aren't that past (compared to plakats/veiltails). I'd test it by putting a few shrimp in his tank and seeing what he does. But then again in a 55 (with lots of cover) I think the shrimp should be fine....

The fish should definitely have enough room to avoid him. I would place him in and watch him closely for the next 30 minutes and see what he does.

I think this should work. I'm a little concerned about the height of the tank: the typical 55 is a long way for a betta to go to get a gulp of air. But, on the other hand, you have plenty of floating plants for him to rest in.

I think he'd be fine with those tankmates, though every betta can turn into a little serial killer, and I think you'd have to expect losing the occasional shrimp. (Though Nuru will enjoy the snack. :eek: :D )

I'd say it's worth trying. Just keep an eye on him for the first day or so. He may be aggressive at first, establishing who's "boss" in the tank, and then settle down.

He is transferred and doing well! No aggressiveness yet so that's a good sign. The other fish are even swimming near him without problems. Thanks folks!

Now....electric colored lobster or scarlet badis for the newly freed 10gallon?

So ended up going with an electric crayfish/lobster...

That said, I've since acquired a 29 gallon tank that needs a few residents. Starting a new thread for that. Thanks folks!

Back
Top Bottom