Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Adding a Lid

I have had my 110g for a little over 6 months now and everything is going great but it hasnt had a top, i was getting tired of topping it off so often so i just added one.

I was just wondering if this would change the conditions of the tank, since there is less fresh air and the water will remain warmer.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenjl13 View Post
I have had my 110g for a little over 6 months now and everything is going great but it hasnt had a top, i was getting tired of topping it off so often so i just added one.

I was just wondering if this would change the conditions of the tank, since there is less fresh air and the water will remain warmer.
I assume it has a feed hole. Even with a lid you will get a little evap. It will probably retain heat a little better. If you're using a heater you can just turn it down slightly if you have this issue. I don't believe it does anything to water parameters.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, it will have a measurable impact on both evaporation and heater effort. all things equal temp will remain +-same, but the heater will come on less. If you have good surface agitation oxygen still going to be more then adequate to sustain your fish. I'm happily using glass tops.

125 Gallon , 55 Gallon
agrasyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know itíll help control temperature and evaporation, I was more worried about oxygen level and other parameters it might effect.

From the sound of it though I should be good
Old 01-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
I assume it has a feed hole. Even with a lid you will get a little evap. It will probably retain heat a little better. If you're using a heater you can just turn it down slightly if you have this issue. I don't believe it does anything to water parameters.

Yea it has holes on top I just didnít know how oxygenation works, I know if I go under my blanket in bed for 5 seconds I in out of air, let alone cover me in a fish tank!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenjl13 View Post
Yea it has holes on top I just didnít know how oxygenation works, I know if I go under my blanket in bed for 5 seconds I in out of air, let alone cover me in a fish tank!!!
Lol. Ya it doesn't quite work that way. You will be good with a lid and it will save you the time of constantly adding water for evap. Keeps fish from jumping out too.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com