Adding a plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not totally necessary, but you would thank me in the end. It helps the roots when they get that far down. But if you do the sand, make sure it is the same color. I stuck with Seachem, and got the "Flourite Sand" with the "Flourite Dark." Both are dark brown and look very natural. Make sure to rinse the gravel and sand out though. It will make your water murky. The sand is like a never ending mud fyi. But if you cap it with the gravel, then the murkiness from the sand will not seep up. I would recommend 2-3" inches of whatever substrate you choose.

My regret was not doing this sooner.

By any chance where did you get these products? My lfs only sells the substrate not the sand and online I'm only having luck finding the sand in black not a dark brown.

eBay. A little cheaper on there. I purchased from Big Al's on there. I got everything, but they were a pain to refund my extra shipping costs. I had to get eBay to step in, because they didn't want to give me my refund they promised. There are other sellers though. Just type in what you want and click the lowest price option. Again, mine was Seachem Flourite Dark and Flourite Sand because I wanted the dark brown color. You might like the red, or the black better. Up to you and what you like. I would recommend 1 (3.5 kg) bad of sand, and 1-2 (3.5 kg) bags of the gravel for your 10 gallon.

You can always buy 2 bags of the gravel and return one if you don't need it. Just don't open it. I would open the sand and the other gravel, clean it and put it in your tank to see if it is deep enough first.

Last edited:
I don't know of any water test for copper, but you can check the ingredient list or breakdown of anything you put in the tank to see what's in it.
API has a copper test, but you probably don't need it.
By any chance where did you get these products? My lfs only sells the substrate not the sand and online I'm only having luck finding the sand in black not a dark brown.
Look into blast media. There's a garnet sand that's a lovely shade of dark red.

You don't need to go full out. Adding even one plant helps your tank.

Back
Top Bottom