Adding a real seashell to my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have (what I believe to be) a real seashell that I think would look cool in my tank. I came across it today while I was cleaning. I've had it since I was a kid so I'd say it's at least 15 years old (hasn't been in any water for at least that long). I just wanted to know if it was safe to add to my freshwater tank. If so, what do I need to do to clean it or whatever. I've been going for the natural look (sand, rocks, live plants only) for my tank lately and I think this would be a perfect addition. Here's a pic of it, it's a little bit bigger than my fist:

Attachments

• image-53065133.jpg
    image-53065133.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 101
I think it would be perfectly fine in your aquarium. Just soak it in a 10:1 water-bleach solution a few hrs and rinse it well. If its going in a smallish aquarium it may alter your ph a little but it will be a gradual effect if any and shouldn't matter unless you've already got extremely high ph.

I have seashells in almost all my aquaria and have had for years with no ill effects:)

^+1 to Cichlid_Kid's comment.
If it does anything it might raise your ph, but it won't be a large enough amount to damage the system.

I put seashells in my freshwater tanks all the time. I couldn't see any visible affects at all.

I have one in my 29g and my khuli loaches hang out in it. The smaller one in my 10g holds a shrimp :)

Thank you all! And I will do what Cichlid Kid said and soak it. I'm not too worried about the pH. I checked it today and it was fine. I will keep an eye on it after I put it in there though. Thanks again, guys and girls :)

The only thing to watch out for is that overly curious fish can get trapped in it. I've heard plenty of stories about someone's betta or such managing to wedge themselves too tightly in it while exploring and couldn't wriggle back out. You may want to take the shell out of the tank, dry it off, and block off the narrower section of it with aquarium safe silicone before putting it back into the tank. This also prevents any dirt and gunk from building up deep inside it so you can clean it out properly from time to time.

I have had seashells up my pH, but it really depends on what fish your keeping and your intent with them. If you're trying to breed certain dwarf cichlid species, like say dicrossus or apistogramma, it wouldn't be a wanted item in the tank. Just throwin it out there

I asked the same question, I have a conch which I wanted to add but was told it would up my pH which is alread 8.3-8.7 so I decided against it.

Wash with hot water and wash wash wash! NO SOAP!!! Other than that you should be fine. I have a few shell in my tankS.

Back
Top Bottom