Adding a school of fish with Bio Spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi folks,

Hopefully, in the next few days, I will begin stocking my 29 gal. tank with fish by adding a school of 8 Harlequin Rasboras. My question is pretty straight forward: Can I add all 8 rasboras at once along with an oz of Bio Spira (an oz. treats 30 gallons)? This seems to me like it would be the best idea, as there would probably be enough ammonia to keep all the Bio Spira bacteria alive and thriving until I add more fish. Also, the rasboras would probably be less stressed by the move if they are in a bigger group.

I have heard some other places that if you're going to add a school of fish, you should do it in batches. This doesn't seem to fit what I understand about Bio Spira, however, especially when adding small fish to a relatively large tank. So, if I'm adding them with Bio Spira, shouldn't I add the entire school of 8 at once?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Catalina,
Go ahead and add the 8 fish and the packet of Bio-Spira at the same time. The Bio-Spira directions say the tank will be cycled in 24 hours, meaning 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and nitrates from 20-40ppm.

The other directions that you read -- about adding the fish in small batches -- is only if you are letting the tank cycle on its own and NOT using Bio-Spira. Bio-Spira is meant to be added right with your fish. All the correct bacteria are in there and they will begin to convert the ammonia and nitrites.

I would still test for ammonia and nitrites just to make sure, but I think you'll be fine. Also, when you add more fish later, you may see a small spike in the ammonia, but the tank shouldn't go thru the cycle all over algain. Anytime you add more fish, you should test your parameters to make sure everything's ok.

When you add more fish, you could add more Bio-Spira, but I don't think you'd need another whole packet. If you don't mind spending the money on another packet, you could get one though. I got a packet for my small betta tank! If it's a small ammonia spike, (which it probably would be if it appears) you could just do water changes to drop the ammonia level.

P.S. How's your betta doing?

*nods and agrees with An*

Yep, add em all. What you will be doing by using Bio-Spira is adding the bacteria you need for a cycled tank, as opposed to cycling a tank with fish and waiting for the correct bacteria to catch up to the ammonia levels.

I've used it 4 times successfully. One time I have had some nitrite levels show up a week down the road - water changes took care of that easily. I know some folks have had some probs; we feel their packages may have gotten warm somewhere during shipping and the bacteria died. So do keep an eye on your levels just in case; but chances are all will be fine :)

Thanks to you both, but apparently it's going to be another week or two before I can add fish to this tank, as you can see from this post http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=9953 Ughhhhh. :x

An t-iasg, my betta is doing just fine, but I am still worried he's a bit bloated. It's not very noticeable, and he's active and eating, but I just want to be sure. I fed him another pea yesterday, but there is still a tiny swelling on one of his sides close to his tail fin. I didn't feed him today, and am going to give him another pea tomorrow, as well as begin treatment with Betta Max. Does that actually help bloating? Because if not, I won't do it, since he seems to be perfectly healthy other than that. Thanks for your help.

Hi Catalina,
No, I don't think BettaMax does anything for bloat. You need something a little stronger, like Kanacyn or Jungle Fungus Eliminator. My betta didn't move for 6 days once, and he got better with Jungle fungus eliminator. He had a very small bloat then. But, when he died, he had a very big bloat kind of under and right behind his head, under those "ear fins". (forgot their true name!) It's where the stomach is, and he had a blockage and then a bad internal infection, I guess. It wasn't back by his tail. My betta died in only 2 days with his case of bloat, and yours is still eating and looking well, which is good so far! You can give him some more peas; it won't hurt, but if the bloat is by his tail, that isn't his stomach or digestive system area, so a pea may not work for that bloat. If the tail bump area isn't red or irritated looking, or if he isn't rubbing it on anything, I wouldn't give him any medicine for now, but just wait and keep an eye on him. Hope this helps a little!

Back
Top Bottom