Adding Aggressive Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I want to get 2 more dwarf puffers for my 10. I am worried that if I get two together they will team up on Alejandro, but I am worried that one at a time will = bullying from him. Any suggestions on adding these little guys?

Keep in mind I won't be able to tell their sex, it is so hard when they are little. I am starting to think Alejandro is really a Mrs. Puff... :)

We have 3 in a 10G tank currently... They are the only fish. We haven't had any problems, but fish do often change attitude as they age (kinda like people).

did you add them all at once? he has been the lone DP in there for 3 months now... I don't know if he will appreciate invaders in his territory lol

If your worried about it change the tank decorations around when you add the other two. This way they all will find new territories.

I'm not so sure you can really keep them with anything in such a small tank. A friend of mine's girlfriend has one in a 20g long and she's tried everything like rearranging the tank and even taking the puffer out for a week at a time before putting him back in and it still bullies the other fish.

Puffers are not meant for community tanks. It also depends on the fish, like most other combos. I originally planned on him being a solitary fish but he seems bored and lonely. Tried some otos and they all died so now I want to try a couple buddies. I wish I could tell what sex they are . If I had a good F:M ratio I wouldn't be so worried. Should I just try one at a time?

If you didn't live so far away I would let you have my blue paradise gourami. He's in my 10g right now by himself. I had to take him out of my 55g cause he chased everything including my larger gouramis. He never attacked, just chased. He probably would keep that puffer in check.

Lol hmm that is interesting. Too bad I do live far away I would probably take him. Or try him in my 29.

Wow he was bullying cichlids? Lol he would probably eat alejandro he is barely an inch

They're pretty fish, but they're really best alone or with something to keep it in check. I had three in my 55g at one point in time. A couple days after adding them, one jumped out through a small hole by my filters, one hid from the other who would chase it around so I gave him away, and the third one chased everything lol. So now he's seperated and I really don't want him. I'm planning on using my 10g for glowfish. He doesn't bother my cory cat or pleco though =/

Back
Top Bottom