Adding Angel Fish or Silver Sharks with guppies and platy's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness40

Aquarium Advice Regular
So ive got 4 male guppies, 5 small baby guppies in a breeder, and 6 platy's (3male/3female), but i wanted to add in a couple of angel fish, or maybe 2 silver sharks, or maybe even both?! Need advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is in a 150litre tank btw

An Angel Fish pair will be fine.

Silver Sharks though (I'm assuming you mean Bala Sharks) won't.
Bala Sharks grow to well over 12" and while they might look small attractive for a small tank, they will eventually require at least a 6ft aquarium.

Thanks for your advice. Went for angel fish, did some research and came to the same conclusion so got a pair of angels ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406907818.350291.jpg

I don't know how long you've been in the hobby or how long the tank has been set up, but I might add that you shouldn't add too many fish in a short period of time.
I'd hold off a bit now and make sure the tank can take the bio load.

Altogether now theres 12 in there. Testing everyday and doing a water change every sunday. Will wait now for a couple of weeks and then check how its going. Thanks again for the advice

Altogether now theres 12 in there. Testing everyday and doing a water change every sunday. Will wait now for a couple of weeks and then check how its going. Thanks again for the advice

Good job.
At least you're getting it right from the get go, more than can be said of most others on this forum (my-stupid-self included)

Yeah i did alot of research before putting fish in, im sure theres still alot to learn but i'll get there!

Thanks. Got some lovely guppies in there aswell. Do fry guppies develop colour as they get older?? At the moment mine are just grey?! If you know that is lol

Female guppies will remain fairly gray, but the males usually start developing colors by 6 weeks of age.

don't worry about the color of the guppy fry the angels are going to eat all of them and maybe the adults when they get bigger
angels and guppies do not mix
my adult (not full grown ) angels can easily eat a neon

The guppies are in a breeder they arent in the tank with the rest of the fish just yet. Maybe 2 more weeks till theyve matured a bit more. The angles are only small, no bigger than an inch and a half, they'd struggle to eat the guppies i have there at the moment! Im hoping they will grow used to being around other fish and they wont turn out too aggressive! But if they do get aggressive as they get older i may rehome the guppies and get something different!

don't worry about the color of the guppy fry the angels are going to eat all of them and maybe the adults when they get bigger
angels and guppies do not mix
my adult (not full grown ) angels can easily eat a neon

It depends on the angel. If they're raised with guppies and small fish as juvies, they don't usually view the guppy adults as snacks when full grown. Quite a few people keep guppies with their angels quite successfully. In fact, the fact that the angel will snack on the fry is considered a bonus.

Well the fry will stay seperate, as will any other fry in the tank that i find as i have a mixture of platy male and female that may breed at some point. But i agree the fact the angels are so young will hopefully allow them to grow up and be able to live peacefully with non aggressive species! This is all a leatning experience for me but if there are problems i will seperate if i have to!

Thanks bro, still alot to go. Im debating adding plants at some point, and still have a couple more fish id like to add also. About 3 and a half weeks in and no problems so far! Loving it!

Back
Top Bottom