Adding Another Loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satsumas

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking about the possibility of adding another loach to my tank.

The problem with this is that my tank is already overstocked!
My loach look good, nice colours, healthy looking and seem to be happy.
I think they'd be more active and happier if they were in a 3.

I did think about getting a small loach that would stay at 2-3 inches but he would be on his own with one 3 inch yoyo and another 4 inch Fat! yoyo.
He'd be very timid and always weary of the bigger loaches, this would be the case if i did get another yoyo but at least they'd all be yoyos.

I currently do a 30% water change every week and a 20/30% water change mid-week with a gravel vac. (30% change this morning) I havent tested my water in about a week now so over the course of this week i will try to test everyday and see what results i get.
If the results are good then i think i might get one but if not then i'll have to wait to get a bigger tank.

One thought i had was to get a bigger, more efficient, more powerful filter.
I dont really know if this would keep my tank in better condition or not so i thought i'd ask you guys and see what you think.
The filter i have atm is a Rena Filstar i3 And its a 20 Gal tank (see sig for fish.)

I suppose i could take back 2 black neons and 2 danios if needed.

Thanks in advance!

It seems a little crowded, but as long as you keep up with weekly PWC it should be ok. All your fish stay small except for the Clown Pleco. I have 2 Yoyo loaches that are very fat and I can't seem to get a third one to get along with the other two. Good luck if you buy the Yoyo.

I wouldn't return any of the neons or danios. They both are best kept in groupings. If anything I would take back the Clown.

Clown Pleco's grow to 4-5 inches.
My biggest loach is 4 inches atm.

Pleco's are the main waste distributors and i thought about catching one and taking it back but i dont really think i will, i like them both!

Yeah i thought that if i keep to a schedule'd routine on water changes and gravel vacs then it should be ok.

Will the 2 bigger loaches (ones in my tank) bully the new one if i get one?
The ones in the shop looked about 2 inches long but they were pretty thin, mine seem to have filled out and are quite bulky, especilly the bigger one!

The loaches *shouldn't* bully the newcomer. Since they are a fish that likes to be in groups I will say go ahead and bring another home. However, as anyone can tell you, it really depends on the fish and there are exceptions to the rule. The best thing you can do it just be aware of the fish in your tank and watch for aggression. You'll know if something is up. :D

Yeah, well im hoping adding a yoyo will also perk the other 2 up a bit. they like just laying down on the bottom and occaisionally chasing away a stray danio.

My biggest yoyo is the one i rarely ever see out at all. I'd like him to be out more so hopefully a new addition will get him out and about a bit more.

Any thoughts on the idea of getting a bigger filter?
Or is there no point?

Thanks.

I would get the loach and get a larger filter if it is available cheaply. Extra filtration will not hurt your set up IMO. You already know that keeping up on pwc's is important so I think you're set to go.

Right.

Would it be better if i bought another filter and kept my current one running with it?
or
bought a bigger filter (twice the size as my current one) and just ran that on its own?

Something tells me there will be no difference, only the cost.

Is this an internal filter? I'd get an external filter (I don't know what is readily available for you where you are) and keep them running together, unless the internal takes up valuable space, then I'd get a larger external (HOB or small canister) that is rated for a tank larger than the 20.

Yeah, sorry it is an internal filter.

Yeah i had a look at some external filters in the shop today but there 3x the amount of the larger internal filter i was looking at.

I would really like an external filter but it all depends on how much i am willing to spend.

IMO, if you are going to keep the tank stocked as well as it is then you are really going to need more than an internal filter, but it is certainly your call. Perhaps doing at least 50% PWC weekly, or 20% and 30% (respectively) twice a week would take the place of better filtration.

I do a 30% pwc every week, then during the week i do a gravel vac which can vary. (as long as it takes me to suck all the waste up) I have done some 50% pwc's due to me being slow.

Hmm, i dont know what to do now.
Does this seem like the situation im in...

External filter - really good filtration - a lot of money

Bigger internal filter - better filtration - 3x less than external filter

What if i were to buy a bigger internal filter and carried out more maintenance.(50% weekly pwc and 30% mid week pwx with gravel vac)

Satsumas said:
What if i were to buy a bigger internal filter and carried out more maintenance.(50% weekly pwc and 30% mid week pwx with gravel vac)

Now 'yer talkin' - I think that would do the trick.

A bigger internal filter and a weekly 50%-75% PWC would be all that's needed. And during the PWC, do the gravel vac at the same time and take out at least half the water. I have a 55G overstocked tank, and I do 60%-75% weekly PWC's, and keep my nitrates below 20ppm.

Just a thought :D I don't know what the percentage amount of pwc would be but it would most likely be best to monitor your water perams on top of all this cleaning. That way you know for sure and you aren't just guessing on how much water to change to keep toxins down.

rubysoho said:
Just a thought :D I don't know what the percentage amount of pwc would be but it would most likely be best to monitor your water perams on top of all this cleaning. That way you know for sure and you aren't just guessing on how much water to change to keep toxins down.

Very, very true. If you own a fish aquarium, you should have a test kit that tests ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph at the minimum, IMO.

If you are happy with the i3 then go with the i4. Renas and Fluvals both have excellent track records, though, so I don't think you'd be unhappy with the Fluval. This is not from experience, though, since on this side of the pond there are not many folks who use internal filters like these.

I don't believe it is possible to change too much water, but that's JMO.

The question is, is the i3 doing the job just fine currently? If it is, and with your current water change plans, how are the parameters holding? If they are ok, then I don't see the need in a bigger filter, even if you add a couple more fish. I would go ahead with the stocking plan, but take it slow, let the bacteria catch up after each step. I'm sure the current filter will be just fine. And as for running 2 filters, no problem with that either. Could even just add a smaller one to help out the i3 you have. But if your parameters are staying good, then I don't think there's a need for extra filtration.

Back
Top Bottom