Adding biological filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squall

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 60 gallon (4') tank with 2 filters, 1 Marineland penguin 350 and 1 AC70. I am currently overstocked right now, I have 2-3" blood parrots, 2-3" red gold severums, a 3 inch geo brasiliensis, a 1.5 inch green terror, 1-2" albino BN pleco, 1-2" rubberlip pleco and 1-3" yellow prince tiger pleco. I plan to weed out this stocking list depending on the behaviour and aggression of the fishes and have a plan of upgrading to a 125 gallon tank in the next 6 months or so.

For now, I want to know if I add some more biological filters will it help stabilize my water parameters? I have just completed my cycle a few days ago, ammo is 0ppm, nitrites is 0 ppm and nitrates is between 20-40 ppm.

My AC 70 is setup with 2 mechanical foam filters sandwiching 2 bags of AC biomax filter inserts. The penguin 350 has 2 regular filter cartridges without carbon upfront, and 2 regular filter cartridges with carbon at the back slots. I saw this online Penguin 200 & 350 Refillable Media Cartridge and plan to remove the filter media with carbon and replace them with those refillable cartridges and fill them up with biofilters like fluval biomax bio rings.

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Has anybody had this kind of setup before?

With biowheels you should never have to worry about having enough biological filtration.

How are you so stocked if you just finished the cycle? How long have the fish been in there?

If you do not have any ammonia or nitrite you have enough biological filtration.

The 2 sponges in the AC 79 are bio media.You would probably be better with the Bio rings on top of the two sponges so they will stay cleaner. if your nitrate reading is possibly 40, it's time for a water change.

Back
Top Bottom