Adding fish to established semi-agressive tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crustyshellback

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been running my 93 gal cube for about a year now. All of the fish are getting pretty big. I've got:
1 Blood parrot cichlid
1 Red faced severum
1 Electric blue acara
2 Dennison barbs
2 Pictus cats
4 Bristle nose plecos
11 Tiger barbs
Its set up to look like a saltwater tank. I know it looks cheesy, but we like it and the grandkids love it. I do a 50% water change every 2 weeks, and the nitrates run surprisingly low. Less than 20! My wife thinks it looks too empty, and I figured with the bioload where it is I could add more fish. I'm a little concerned about introducing juvenile fish to this tank. The tiger barbs are all over 2 inches. I really have no idea what to add anyway. I'd like something colorful that would inhabit the upper part of the tank, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Attachments

• 20160313_132413_resized.jpg
    20160313_132413_resized.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 97
I'd put some tall, bushy fake plants in at least one corner. That'll give any new little guys a better place to hide.

Do what's better for your fish before how it looks to you. That is more important, as your fish are dependent on you to give them what they need, whether it be food, shelter or a lack of stress. You are bringing them home--you OWE it to them. Your tank, as it currently is, offers no real hiding places, and as a result you will have highly stressed fish that will eventually die. Yes, they can and do die of stress! With a semi-aggressive tank, the older the fish get, the greater the chance there will be territorial issues and fights. You need to find some way to make them feel safer. Your tank, as it is, is not cutting it.

Do what's better for your fish before how it looks to you. That is more important, as your fish are dependent on you to give them what they need, whether it be food, shelter or a lack of stress. You are bringing them home--you OWE it to them. Your tank, as it currently is, offers no real hiding places, and as a result you will have highly stressed fish that will eventually die. Yes, they can and do die of stress! With a semi-aggressive tank, the older the fish get, the greater the chance there will be territorial issues and fights. You need to find some way to make them feel safer. Your tank, as it is, is not cutting it.

Seriously? Even if all of this is true, couldn't you find a less smug and arrogant way of saying it? He's obviously aware of his water parameters and is not taking the care of his fish lightly. He, as most of us are here to do, is here for advise. If you have some to give, at least be respectful.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a semi-aggressive tank as well and at points have added fish among the way. I think the most helpful thing has been providing enough hiding spots. That doesn't necessarily mean fake plants, although it could help to break up lines of sight. But even marine environments have hiding spots like caves, coral, etc. You could consider something like that or even try to find a DIY project online that might give you more control over the look and whether it fits in with your theme.

I think it also depends on what you add, its temperament and how big it is to begin with. That will probably make a greater impact than anything else.

Plus, honestly, the only fish you have that I could see being truly aggressive is the blood parrot. And even with a fish like that, the aggression is mitigated somewhat by its inbred traits, i.e. no true mouth to liplock or fin nip.

I'm sorry--I didn't mean to come off as smug and arrogant. I am just concerned for the fish. As peacelizard said, even marine environments have plenty of places for fish to hide. It doesn't have to cost a lot if you can be creative. I know even fake coral is extremely expensive. I was not aware that blood parrots don't liplock! That's a new one on me. I have always been led to believe they are one of the more aggressive in their group.

I have kilifish in my American cichlid tank. They add color and movement to the top level, and, while not aggressive, they're quick and voracious enough that they get their share of the food.

I have kilifish in my American cichlid tank. They add color and movement to the top level, and, while not aggressive, they're quick and voracious enough that they get their share of the food.
Would they be preyed upon though by the bigger cichlids? That's the problem I have with my tank: it's less aggression than predation. I couldn't begin to tell you the number of things my 9" Tiger Oscar has eaten

The picture I sent is a little misleading. The large coral in the back is 14 1/2" tall by 18" wide by 9" deep and riddled with hiding places. The one in the front is 12" tall, hollow, and has many holes for the fish to swim through. There's also another one in the back that you can't see in the picture. Everyone has their favorite places to hang out except the cats who used to hide in the barnacle cluster until they got too big to fit in it. Even the blood parrot "Elmo" has his throne where he sits and watches the other fish. I used to have a VERY bushy fake plant that went nearly to the top of the tank, but the fish didn't seem to like it and it filtered the flake food as soon as it went into the tank. I had to remove and clean it during every water change. I think it was too bushy. My wife and I are going to the LFS and PETSMART today to look at additional décor for this tank. I'm thinking maybe some slender leafed plants and building a couple of slate caves for the cats.
One last thing. I DO take the wellbeing of all of my tanks and all of my fish VERY seriously. I would never make an addition or change without the resources and intention of doing what's best for my fish. Our tanks are a part of our home, and our fish are a part of our family. Aesthetics are important to us, but if I thought my fish needed Halloween decorations and "bad boy" posters to keep them happy and healthy, that's what they would get.
Sorry this went so long. I just don't want anyone thinking I'm a frivolous aquarist.

I have kilifish in my American cichlid tank...
I always look for killfish whenever I go in a pet store, including a few of the specialty fish and aquatic places in the area and have never found any killfish for sale after literally years of looking.

Where can I find these guys? :confused:

I see them very rarely at local Petco/PetSmart. As the person above already suggested though, sometimes online is the best realistic option.

Ah, I didn't see the oscar listed in your first post. Your oscar will eat any fish it can fit in its mouth, so killies wouldn't work. I have a friend who lost a 10" oscar because it got a 5" catfish stuck in its throat. The cat was too big to swallow, but the oscar couldn't spit it out because the fins were open and locked the cat in place.

Back
Top Bottom