Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

adding fish to the cycling tank?

ok 75g xp3 inline heater.
it has been fishless cycling for three weeks with a boost of ammonia, yesterday reading was ammonia 20 and nitrite 15 today I did a clean up since I have not touch the tank in three weeks and it needed it, I also did a power change of water and the readings are
ph 7.2 to 7.4
ammonia 0 to 0.25
nitrite 0
I like to transfer some of my current stock because they just been overcrowded and over growing the old tank. is this ok? every day keeping on eye on readings of course?

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is the Nitrate level?

The level before the water change if possible.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have present Nitrates? Are you dosing the ammonia daily? What did you clean in the tank?

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

i didnt check nitrates
I only dose once the ammonia and that was three weeks ago
I clean the powder that was left from not rinsing the media
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
Old 06-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you haven't been dosing the ammonia the bacteria has had nothing to live on. The tank has not cycled if it has not been dosed in three weeks.

Did you clean the actual media? How did you clean it?

55 Gallon Community
Old 06-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never touched the xp3 I only clean the glass tank inside
nitrate is about 10
Plants
Old 06-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you tested your tap water? If you did a 100% water change and still have that reading it makes me wonder if Nitrates are present in your tap.

55 Gallon Community
Old 06-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes they are, I dont remember exactly but I do remember in the past I test my tap and it did contain nitrates.
Plants
Old 06-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you have Nitrates present in your tap, the ammonia is 0, the nitrite is 0, you have not dosed ammonia in 3 weeks, and you just did a 100% water change. I'd have to assume that the tank never cycled.

55 Gallon Community
Old 06-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #10
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont think it did either, but I like to place fish in it would this be a problem?

Plants

Tags
cycling, cycling tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com