Adding Koi to a freshwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjcatlin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know of someone adding a koi to a freshwater tank? I will eventually be getting a 65 gallon tank and want to put a koi in it because the are really nice looking. I would buy a baby of course.

If, by 'freshwater', you mean a tropical tank (with denizens like tetras, guppies, etc), then it is an extremely bad idea....koi are coldwater fish and will not fare well in warmer water and secondly, even a baby will grow pretty quickly to 8"-12", where it will become cramped in a 60G tank...and at about 4"-6", it will have eaten most of anything smaller than itself.

I wouldn't add koi to an aquarium as they get quite large. Have you thought about a pond? Koi are awesome in ponds. Ponds are easier than aquariums, too. Our koi (in a pond) would come to the top whenever we were out and beg for food, even eat from our hands.

To my understanding, koi really aren't generally meant for tanks. They're actually bred mainly for theire profile (when viewing from the top). A pond is a good idea, because generally if you do a good job, they'll live over 50 years and get to be a couple feet. A tank just isn't a long-term home, and it would just mean more work for you in the end.

Just my two cents. :)

Hehe, well, shut me up. I was just trying to frame the type of comittment that comes with koi there.

On a slightly unrelated note, has anyone heard of some koi in asia that was documented to have lived 226 years? I don't have all the details. If someone does, I'd love to see some info on it. I think it was like in a pond that constantly had fresh mountain water streaming though it. It was passed down for generations. Just an amazing longevity.

one of the tattoo places downtown has 3 koi in a 120, they keep up on the water changes and have plenty of filtration etc. etc. but they are massive all 3 are at least 1' long, i told my tattooer that they should donate them to Syracuse Aquariums and i can help them get a huge cichlid tank going which would go well with their whole tribal theme in the building

Koi will do well in warm water. Its not that the main problem.

They are big messy fish that like room. They will outgrow your tank pretty quick.

Like Tortis said, they grow big and live long (although not to the extent he said ;) )

Unlike goldies, koi keep growing. Doesnt matter the size of the tank. Goldfish tend to stay the size of the tank, if that makes since.

Now koi CAN grow to 3' and CAN live to 150 years+.

I think there was just 1 fish in Japan that lived that long and was that big.

Now around 2'-2.5" is very common. About their normal size. 3' is rare. They also live 80-100 years normally, 150 years is rare too.

But yea, dont add them to an aquarium. Too big too fast.
If you still want one dig a pond that is big enough to hold a koi (8x8 sized pond min)

I'm kind of new to the hobby, I just thought I would ask. Thank you all for your input. I think I may just do a semi-aggressive tank, with Bala Sharks, Angel fish, and that sort of thing.

zacdl said:
Koi will do well in warm water. Its not that the main problem.

Not very, no....simply not in the make-up of carps to thrive in warmer water.

3' is rare. They also live 80-100 years normally, 150 years is rare too.

Not as rare as you think....I know of plenty that range 30"-36".

Back
Top Bottom