Adding more black skirt tetras.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mojo3251

Aquarium Advice Activist
So about 4 days ago I got 5 black skirts, and they are all doing great!! They eat well and everything! I wanted to get more.. But I don't know how many more? And I was also wondering if they would all school together if I add them at different times?

Thank you!!

P.S. I have a 20 gallon.. With only a pleco and the 5 black skirts..

You could add 7if its the only fish you want! But id really not add any more and get 4 Cory's and a dearf gourami or gbr

Are they the only fish in the tank? A 20g is not that big and I would put no more the 6 total as skirt grow to a decent size. After that you only have alittle room left to stock anything else.

They are the only fish I have and I want.. And charlie, are you saying I could add 7 more than I already have now? Or are you saying I could add two more than I already have?

Well I ment 7 more, for 12 total, but if you have a 20 tall I'd do 10 max. Start by adding 2 at a time, and if it seems like they are showing signs of stress stop there

Well I ment 7 more, for 12 total, but if you have a 20 tall I'd do 10 max. Start by adding 2 at a time, and if it seems like they are showing signs of stress stop there

12 adult black skirt tetras are too many for a 20g tank. I've been in the hobby for over 30 years and have kept skirts often and in a 20g tank if they are the only fish then 8 is the max you should keep. They can get very large for a tetra as they age.

I guess I've never had skirts. I didn't know they were the larger species, but if it is so, get 8

When I add the three more will they all school together still?

When I add the three more will they all school together still?

Yes because they are the same species. Now remember if they are the only type/species they will likely school loosely. Schooling fish tend to school tightly when other larger fish that they precieve as threat. So when no threat is present in a tank they will be more relaxed and thus school loosely.

I don't know what kind of pleco it is.. But I have a 55 and a 110 I can upgrade him to once he gets big enough.. And if out grows that which I doubt he will, my uncle has a big huge pond I can put him in..

Back
Top Bottom