Adding more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whilst we're deciding on our fish wish list if anybody has a simple equation or knows of a good tool to calculate fish allowance then great! Advised to go with aqadvisor however can't use it. In order for it to calculate it asks for info I don't have such as tank dimension. I don't know which one is relevant for my tank out of the choices. Tried getting more info from maidenhead website where I purchased the tank but all they provide are the litres, length, width and height.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just base it off of the inch of fish per gallon as a base and we will help you after you have a list. So the basic rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon so a fish that grows to a max size of 3 inches needs 3 gallons of water. You have a 90 gallon tank that means you can have 90 inches of fish (adding together all the final size of each fish as if they were already there full size) and there's about 2.5cm in 1 inch so you can kinda base your allowance off that.

Just base it off of the inch of fish per gallon as a base and we will help you after you have a list. So the basic rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon so a fish that grows to a max size of 3 inches needs 3 gallons of water. You have a 90 gallon tank that means you can have 90 inches of fish (adding together all the final size of each fish as if they were already there full size) and there's about 2.5cm in 1 inch so you can kinda base your allowance off that.

Great :) il do the extra research on the fish and il leave my hubby to calculate them. ;)

No, don't use 1 inch per gal. That's like saying 10 neons and 1 10 in Oscar are the same thing. Stocking is all about compatability, bioload, tank decorations, etc, not just size. You wouldn't keep a 20 in tall dog in a crate 20 in tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How do you calculate then?

Ok were gonna go with 1 dwarf gourami and play it safe. No betta cos of the guppies. 4 bosemani rainbows and a clown pleco. We'll take it from there and when we eventually figure out an accurate calculation then I may be back for more advice on other fish in my sights! I want them all!

Thanks everyone. I do research but it's good to get other people's opinions cos in the fish world there appears to be a lot of conflicting info! :sly:

The 1 in per gallon is a good base it does require some common sense though I mean he has a 90 gal and we've already discussed the type of fish he's getting so it should be fine

The 1 in per gallon is a good base it does require some common sense though I mean he has a 90 gal and we've already discussed the type of fish he's getting so it should be fine

Think il calculate using that for now and use it loosely. But next question...should I base it on 75 imperial gallons or 90 American gallons?

Back
Top Bottom