Adding More Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hulka9

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it okay to add more sand to my aquarium after its already set up? Im in the cycling stage with 2 fish in and Im realizing a bag more might do some good for when I get live plants. If so, whats the best method of doing this? Im thinking of putting the fish in a bag until the new sand settles. Would that work?

Turning filters off otherwise sand gets stuck, and jams the impeller. Putting the sand in and waiting 15-20 minutes for it to settle, then put the fish back in the tank. Different grain sands take longer or shorter amounts of time to settle.

One more question. I used aquarium sand from my local fish store. It doesn't specify what type of sand it is. From what I've read pool filter sand is the best. Should I add a layer of that or continue to use the aquarium sand I bought?

PFS sand is best if your on a budget IMO, but aquarium sand is fine to no advantage except aquarium sand IME sinks Instantly so you only wait 10-15 minutes, instead of a couple hours

PFS looks nothing like that sand. It's way different. Top layer in pic is PFS

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140207_223901.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140207_223901.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 62
Yeah definitely not mixing then. I like how white my sand is. I only have a 10 gallon so it wont't be that expensive.

As you have such a small tank either remove your fish before hand or add a very small amount of sand over a period of time. Sand can drop tank temperature very quickly so be careful you don't shock your fish to death.

Back
Top Bottom