adding natural decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'd like to start adding some rocks, shells and maybe, in the future, driftwood to my aquarium. What steps should I take to make sure anything I put in my tank is safe?

For rocks, try the muratic acid test (or vinegar test). Place a drop on the rock. If it bubbles it will disolve in your tank. Shells will increase the hardness. Only use hardwoods for driftwood. Pine will leech chemicals into your tank.

Just fill up a 5-gallon bucket with water and a cup of bleach. Then rub down with a clean wash cloth and let soak for 48 hours. This will make just about anything aquarium safe.

Note: watch out for any rocks with metallic substances as this can potentially be dangerous to fish. Also be wary of limestone as this will **** up your water chemistry something fierce.

Hope this helped! :D

By the way if you do the acid test limestone will fail it miserably..LOL so if you stick with the acid test you will find wich rocks are safe.. and do watch out for dark or red colors.. they can be magnesium or iron deposits.. both can have a negitive effect on water quality even if they pass the acid test.. (its much less likely that they will be a problem if they pass the acid test with muriatic acid but if you do use them be aware that they could be the problem if future problems arise..) HTH

btw.. muriatic acid is available at ace hardware stores.. it will give you easier to see result with the acid test then vinegar..

Back
Top Bottom