Adding new filter start a new cycle??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyskoi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my 4ft tank runing for around 6months with two internal filters. I have now purchased a new external filter and set it up on the tank. Will this make my tank cycle again or cause any problems to my fish or turtles? Thanks

Leave the two filters on while you cycle the external filter. You shouldn't run into much of a cycle.
Or cram your media from the two into the external.

Thanks for replying. I have left the two internal filters in aswell as i thought that would help. How long should it take to mature the new filter? The carbon and biomix was new but the filter sponges have been used an a marine set up but had not been used for a while

the filter sponges have been used an a marine set up but had not been used for a while

I would not use these sponges in a freshwater tank. You can't say what kind of marine residue they may have on them. Just get new ones.

I will have to order some new ones then. I wouldent of used them but they looked pretty new to be fair

Should i not clean the filter out for a month then?

Back
Top Bottom