Adding New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kemosabe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am adding a 30 gal tank (picked up 2 30-gal tanks w/ all the accessories for $50:-D). I currently have a 20 gal w/:
- 6 neon tetras
- 5 zebra danios
- 2 guppies
- 2 sunburst platys
- 2 rubber-lipped plecos
- 1 yo-yo loach
- 2 giant danios

I know...way too many for a 20-gal but I've had no problems since set up 7 months ago (even converted from internal to external filter recently with no effects).

I have moved the 2 giant danios to the 30-gal to begin cycling. My plan is to move 1 pleco and the yo-yo loach (he's getting large enough to be aggressive toward the smaller fish - but does a great job on the snail population:cool:) later.

I'm also thinking about adding 2 gouramis and another yo-yo loach to the 30-gal over time. Any other suggestions?

I'm also thinking about adding 2 dwarf gouramis and 4-6 octo cats to the 20 gal.

Am I crazy?

Don't put 2 male DG's together in the 20G, one will stress the other one to death....Been there done that lol.

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly take that into account. To all, more input on my plan please:)

With the 2 Giant Danios moved, how often/how much (should I) do water changes before I add more fish (probably just one more pair at a time)?

BTW, interesting behavior: My neon tetras have become much more active (not hiding) since I moved the GDs from the 20-gal. The GDs must've intimidated them:)

In the un-cycled tank, you should test the water probably every day, and do pwc's every day until you get 0 ammonia and nitrites. When my tank had to cycle with fish (uggh, I will never do that again, poor fishies) I changed 50-70% of the water every single day for 4 weeks. And I would wait to have 0, 0, and between 5 and 20 ppm of nitrates, then think about adding fish slowly so you don't kill your biological filter. Once your tank is established, I would change 25-50% of the water every week.
Your tetras were probably getting bullied by the GD's, and were staying away from them.

Thanks for the input. I had read pretty much the exact same advice in another thread earlier today (it was probably you:). I will try to follow your advice.

Yeah, the neons are schooling all over the tank now. The GDs had them buffaloed:).

Oh, I think we all pretty much give the same advice. I am in no way an expert! There are many people on here with MUCH more experience than me. But feel free to ask questions as often as you need to!

Once every 2 or 3 weeks (100% change). I know I need to move them to something larger. They've been fine and we've had one for over a year and the other almost a year. I'm going to start looking to see if I can find someone's cast off 5- or (preferably) 10-gal tank. Worse case, I'll just buy one (my wife is pretty supportive, it's a hobby that keeps me at home:).

I've also thought about putting them into one of my larger tanks but my daughter thinks that would be horrible. She's used to seeing them in the small tanks (even though she is the one who "rescued" them from the tiny cups at the LFS). Do you think they could work in either of my tanks (1 male/1 female)?

If you don't want babies, I would not put a male and a female together. If you get a bigger tank, I would just get a divider.
If I were you, I would change 50% of the water twice a week. Your fish will thank you.

Moved one pleco (rubber-lip) from my 20-gal to 30-gal yesterday (starting to get some leftovers that the GDs don't eat). He seems to be fine. But interestingly, the pleco remaining in the 20-gal has been super active since then. All over the tank! Normally, both stayed hidden (maybe nocturnal). But now the remaining pleco seems to be having a field day. Comment on this behavior?

Thought it might be territorial, but they pretty much stayed at their respective ends of the tank. No interaction whatsoever. He seems to be happy now. Don't see the other one (30-gal tank) much. Don't know if he (?) is acclimating or if its his (?) personality.

Well, they could have been messing with eachother at night. I think pleco's are noctournal, so you might not have seen it.

Moved my yo-yo loach to the 30-gal and added 2 blue gouramis and 2 red-tailed sharks a couple days ago. All is well so far. It's interesting to watch the sharks and the yo-yo (and sometimes the pleco) compete for the hiding places. There are plenty places to hide so no one is left out but they keep scouting out each other's spots :).

Plan to add 3 cory cats and some ghost shrimp to the 20-gal. I would also like to add some dwarf gouramis but that tank is already full. Not sure what/if I will add to the 30-gal. Suggestions?

Interesting behavior: Watched a small gourami enter the sunken ship ornament (opening is pretty small) and displace the yo-yo hanging out in there. The yo-yo is typically so active and "confident", I was surprised to see the gourami run it out. Nothing aggressive, just fun!

Keep an I on your red tail sharks, typically they become very territorial as they get older and if not given adequate space and a good hiding spot one might go after the other (been there done that). As long as they set up there own little territory Im assuming it should be okay.

Thanks for the info. I'll watch out. They are still quite young and small (about 2"). They seem to have a good time hanging out together, yet sometimes do their own thing. They like to kind of "dance" in the filter stream. It's like they swim into the stream and then just stop swimming and float with the stream for a little ways. Fish are fun:)

Also, am surprised how much the gouramis like algae wafers. Mix it up with dried shrimp, blood worms, and flakes but they really enjoy the wafers.

Back
Top Bottom