Adding plants / wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
check online - there a few light bulb suppliers that may carry something that will fit your fixture. That is some high phospate! Anything over 1 ppm is probably too much.

It is tough, there are phosphate remover additives you can put in the media of your filter, but it is a balancing act -- you need some P for your plants.

When you say "standard" which kind is it? Is it the "Flourish Comprehensive" ? They make a lot of different liq ferts.
Yes, comprehensive.

Yes, the problem with phosphate removers is they are one-time then throw away, so it gets expensive.

Is there a particular kind of wood that doesn't leech phosphates into the water??

I think most wood wouldn't leach as much as you are getting. I use borneo driftwood with no rise in P at all. In fact, I dose phosphate in my tank...

Click it to see the actual web page its from I didnt wnat to just take the pick :D
Thats the kind of ground cover I would like :D

(and thanks for the link FastFly67)
Trust me, trying to do that on your first planted experience will frustrate you endlessly. That was not his first tank I am sure. Just start with simple, low light plants and then in a while you can give that beautiful setup a go. I know from experience. I bit off a little more than I could chew, and a little more than I could afford on my first attempt at a planted tank.

Trust me, trying to do that on your first planted experience will frustrate you endlessly. That was not his first tank I am sure. Just start with simple, low light plants and then in a while you can give that beautiful setup a go. I know from experience. I bit off a little more than I could chew, and a little more than I could afford on my first attempt at a planted tank.
I was thinking that actualy. I might put some moss in just to see of I can grow it... but im mostly going to stick to some type of small swords and maybe some Java Fern's to see how they do. I want to see of I can actualy get stuff growing 1st :D

Here's the thriving Vals and the dying Swords (you can see what's left of the leafless sword in the open gravel area if you look close)

21227-albums414-picture3233.jpg

Can anything be done, also wanting to avoid CO2.
Hello Floyd one quick question: Are You running an Undergravel Filter in your Planted Tank?

the VAls I assume are in the back? those look like what i want to put in the tank. what exactly are they?

I was thinking that actualy. I might put some moss in just to see of I can grow it... but im mostly going to stick to some type of small swords and maybe some Java Fern's to see how they do. I want to see of I can actualy get stuff growing 1st :D
Great plan, perfect place to start. Just do that and read articles, books, other postings, really anything you can get your hands on.

I got my light yesterday but didnt even get a chance to look at it :( i will be putting it on the tank tonight :D very exciting. im going to see if I can find an LFS with the java moss tomorrow morning or sunday and get started. I need to set up the actual aquascape I think... now its just flat :D.

whats the easiest way to attach it to a rock? the moss anyway... the bigger stuff of course I see can just be stuck in the substrate. someeon sait use a net/mesh. what type (I know not cotton) and how do I do it?

Rather than buying from a LFS, you might let someone on here put together a low light plant package for you through the mail. Thats what I hope to do anyway.

Rather than buying from a LFS, you might let someone on here put together a low light plant package for you through the mail. Thats what I hope to do anyway.
well it doesnt actualy have to be lo light. i just purchased a light taht give me 3.25 watts per gallon. I just chose javamoss because I think it looks awesome. I have to go there anyway to get the timer for my new light.

The easiest way I have found to attach moss is to use fishing line. Rubber bands work too although they are more visible.

The easiest way I have found to attach moss is to use fishing line. Rubber bands work too although they are more visible.
just take the clump and rin the line thru the top of it and slide it down to the "roots" right? then attact to rock?

Back
Top Bottom