Adding salt to fresh water Aquariums??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r_nichols7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O.K.... I keep reading about adding salt to a fresh water aquarium to cure this and fix that... Can someone please elaborate and please... do not leave out any details .

Last edited by a moderator:
Should you use salt for bacterial fin rot? Apparently adding a little salt de-stresses the fish and it slows bacterial growth I thinks.

That's a great question, Iv been wondering the same thing lately. But to add to the question is it safe for scaleless fish also?

Well I've heard of "Freshwater Aquarium salt" that does help your fish out with gill function, something about electrolyte, I forgot what it was. But not the salt that's made for saltwater fish that's a different ballgame.

I've always used aquarium salt in all my tanks and my fish seem pretty healthy. I also heard it relieves stress in fish too. I've heard that you can't use it with loaches but I'm not 100% sure if that's true or not.

I aslo wondered if salt was a good idea for a fresh water tank... I have a pond and I usually throw salt in there as well...it never seems to bother them.... I would like to know if it's the same concept, for pond and aquarium?I would love to know if I should throw a pinch in my aquarium from time to time.... (salt that is specifically for FW tanks) ......

I aslo wondered if salt was a good idea for a fresh water tank... I have a pond and I usually throw salt in there as well...it never seems to bother them.... I would like to know if it's the same concept, for pond and aquarium?I would love to know if I should throw a pinch in my aquarium from time to time.... (salt that is specifically for FW tanks) ......

+1 yes sir. AQUARIUM SALT made for freshwater Is good for freshwater fish or pond fish as long as you put the amount per gallon that it says.....

I add aquarium salt into my tanks when my fish have torn fins or an illness. It helps keep bacteria away and keeps the fish from stressing. I don't bother with freshwater salt I just use aquarium salt ment for SW tanks. I usually add a tsp per 10g.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I find that adding salt to freshwater tanks helps tremendously. Some say it helps some say it doesn't help. In any case it won't hurt. So give it a try and see how it works for you and your fish is my best advice.

I add aquarium salt into my tanks when my fish have torn fins or an illness. It helps keep bacteria away and keeps the fish from stressing. I don't bother with freshwater salt I just use aquarium salt ment for SW tanks. I usually add a tsp per 10g.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

One tsp. Per 10g is when you are doing brackish(bad spelling) water for African cichlids or any other high PH FISH that can deal with that.... But 100% "FRESHWATER FISH" can not deal with saltwater salt like( reef chrystal,ESV salt, instant ocean, or any other brand.)

It would be the first time Ive ever heard of it or read about it.....

Back
Top Bottom