Adding salt to Freshwater? Yay or Nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I see this thing has become a debate on whether or not to add salt in freshwater tank or not. I have been reading and found pros and cons but mostly pros. It is said to prevent many diseases like ich or fungua and makes fish less stressed and improves the healing proceedure in case of a sick fish. Some aquarists add non iodized salt to there tank religiously while some are totally against it.

What is your take on this and if yes then how much salt per gallon u add to your freshwater tank and does it really helps in preventing infections?

Imo if you're adding salt constantly it's not a freshwater tank anymore. Freshwater fish live in fresh for a reason. If you want to prevent ich and fungus, water changes are the way to do it. The reason it is used during illness is because it irritates the skin and causes them to produce more mucus membrane, which is fine temporarily but I wouldn't do it all the time, especially with fish like loaches and plecos

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What Toad said. Clean fresh water is the best therapy for fresh water fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I also thought the same. Still don't understand why some people use it and there are many.

Back
Top Bottom