Adding salt to tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
Exactly how do you add salt to a tank? Do you dissolve it first in some of the tank water and then just pour it in? Or, do you just measure how much you need and drop it in the tank not dissolved?

I would disolve and then add, especially if you have any scaleless fish which could get burned by coming in direct contact with the salt.

Any particular reason you're adding salt? Unless it's a treatment for disease, it's completely unnecessary for most fish.

I will usually dissolve it first, but I have added it to the tank without dissolving it. Just put a bit in at a time 1/4 tsp, let it dissolve, add the next 1/4.

I think you are to use like 1tbsp per 5 gallons (1/2 tsp per gallon) for a freshwater tank (brackish tanks will be different, of course). There are directions on the box. Use aquarium salt only unless specifically using epson salt for medication.

People will argue either side of the salt issue. Do some reading, listen to people in here, and make up your own mind.

I agree to dissolve it first. I've heard stories about people adding salts to the tank and discus being burned from it landing on their bodies.

I agree, salt is caustic and should be pre mixed and then added to the tank. From my SW experience, we like to let it aerate for at least 24 hours....might be different for brackish.....

i was using salt when i first set up my tank. i took home some fish that a customer had brought back to the store because their fins were coming off (i'm not sure if they were burned by improper chemical level or if it was fin rot). but i used anti fungal tabs and kept salt in the tank (roughly 1 tsp per gallon) i dissolved it in the water i pre prepped for water changes.

Back
Top Bottom